www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some of Mark's cars from the frozen north!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Readers Rides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sideways

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyrgary wrote:
Just double checked. You need either V6 Pinto or V8 Mustang II. I have a Morris Minor convertible with Fiat twin cam lump in it. It has a 70s Toyota Celica rear axle which has given no trouble and did not need altering to fit, other than mounts. I would look out for something like that or even Jap mini trucks of 79s and 80s.

The Celica sounds pretty good - I just talked to a guy who says he has a (North American) Capri rear end which should fit the bill.
Sideways

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sideways wrote:
zephyrgary wrote:
Just double checked. You need either V6 Pinto or V8 Mustang II. I have a Morris Minor convertible with Fiat twin cam lump in it. It has a 70s Toyota Celica rear axle which has given no trouble and did not need altering to fit, other than mounts. I would look out for something like that or even Jap mini trucks of 79s and 80s.

The Celica sounds pretty good - I just talked to a guy who says he has a (North American) Capri rear end which should fit the bill.

Anyone have the dimensions for the Capri rear end?
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this list;
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Wheelbase,_track_width,_and_differential_measurements#Ford

and if you scroll down we come across this entry,

54" to 55"
'39 to '48 Chevrolet
'41 to '48 Ford
'55 to '57 Chevrolet
'68 to '69 Fairlane
'67 to '70 Mustang/Cougar 8 cyl.
'62 to '70 B-body Mopar w/ 8 " or 9 " axle
'79 to'85 Toyota pickup
'68 to '72 Chevelle
'74 to '79 Mustang II/Pinto/Capri/Bobcat

zephyrgary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which prolly means too wide cos we had to sgorten the Pinto to fit the Cortina as discussed earlier. But if it has the offset diff, you just have to find another one.
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the rear end is hanging in there, probably because the rears spin in every gear - getting closer to being done, car runs very well, front end still a little 'spongy' so I'll have to look at that.

I am on the hunt for 15" wheels with the proper pitch/offset so I can squeeze in slightly larger brakes up front (if possible).
Langlia

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your cortina at van deusen on the weekend! Very Happy
Sideways

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langlia wrote:
Saw your cortina at van deusen on the weekend! Very Happy

That was a good show this year (no, not because I had a car there!), decent mix as usual, good weather, talked my head off all day about the car there were so many questions.

Cleaned up the area where I removed the 'bubble', should get the trans tunnel covered properly in the near future.

Sideways

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the car all ready for a track day at Mission last Friday, everything checked, fluids, tire pressures etc, literally wheeled the car out of the shop to begin the trek to Mission from Burnaby and the car made a funny noise - sounded like the engine was falling out!

It wasn't but when I put the car on the lift I found that the play in the propshaft was a little excessive, removed the diff and found lots of bits floating around!

The car has never been 'launched' but I suspect previous owners/the age of the diff (50 years old) probably had something to do with it.

Diff is now at IWE rear ends only in Burnaby and Ian and Co are looking after it.

[/img]
peteleo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This usually happens when the pinion bearing goes out. What were you running 3.9 or 4.11 ? I have a complete 4.11 we just took out of a low mileage 105E.
Pete
Sideways

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteleo wrote:
This usually happens when the pinion bearing goes out. What were you running 3.9 or 4.11 ? I have a complete 4.11 we just took out of a low mileage 105E.
Pete

Dunno what it was, I'll ask Ian.
Langlia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of seats do you have in there?
Sideways

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langlia wrote:
What kind of seats do you have in there?

I used the S2000 seats, they actually look fine, even have a similar 'pinhole' pattern though the headrests are a bit of a giveaway.

Far superior to stock seats!!!
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one of your spider gears let go, I had mine explode on me once in a 2 liter Pinto powered Cortina. Those diffs don't like big torque being pounded on in a tight corner.
Sideways

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Wilkie wrote:
Looks like one of your spider gears let go, I had mine explode on me once in a 2 liter Pinto powered Cortina. Those diffs don't like big torque being pounded on in a tight corner.

I really believe that the damage was done quite a time prior, some of the breaks in the teeth look new, others look very old!
Sideways

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sideways wrote:
Had the car all ready for a track day at Mission last Friday, everything checked, fluids, tire pressures etc, literally wheeled the car out of the shop to begin the trek to Mission from Burnaby and the car made a funny noise - sounded like the engine was falling out!

It wasn't but when I put the car on the lift I found that the play in the propshaft was a little excessive, removed the diff and found lots of bits floating around!

The car has never been 'launched' but I suspect previous owners/the age of the diff (50 years old) probably had something to do with it.

Diff is now at IWE rear ends only in Burnaby and Ian and Co are looking after it.

[/img]

Update, back from IWE where the thing was basically rebuilt, turns out it is a 4.13 so I'll run it until it breaks again or until it doesn't break!

I don't hammer off the line, the suspension isn't yet sorted so I don't lean into the corners yet either so the strain on the diff should be minimal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: