www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

68 cortina rear wheel bearing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: 68 cortina rear wheel bearing Reply with quote

hey guys im about to drive my 68 from raleigh nc and portland oregon. i am trying to locate a rear wheel bearing and retainer to carry with me just in case.

when i drove my 64 from az to nc i actually had to replace one and luckily had one with me. i have learned to carry these weird items with me.
peteleo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one on ebay $20.59 free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axle-Shaft-Bearing-C-TEK-Standard-Rear-Centric-411-44007E-/221767738160?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3ACortina&hash=item33a2632330:g:yt8AAOSwImRYlqLQ&vxp=mtr
anthonid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks pete. just ordered it. i searched earlier and somehow missed it,granted i was looking for nos uk or usa made parts. but ill trust the chinese bearing as a backup.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a crappy roadside repair to do, my experience is that those bearings start to say goodbye for a while before an actual catastrophic failure.
anthonid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well when the one died in my 64 i had traveled from phoenix az to just about oklahoma on i40, had some pretty bad groans and whirls coming from the right rear. i continued on for a about 100 miles until it sounded really bad and found a good spot to stop right in front of a small auto shop at about 3am. i pulled the axle out using a big piece of pipe with some concrete on it, pounded the hell out of my wheel and tire until the axle broke out. in the morning the shop owner was surprised to see a young guy driving such a weird car and doing a big repair in front of his shop. he let me use his hydraulic press to press the bearings on and off and luckily i had a bearing kit with retainer. i topped off my diff and continued on my way with no other problems!

that car had many more miles on it and had sat for about 20 years without even rolling on top of having the smaller wheel bearing. i am hopeful my very low mileage mk2 bearing will not have trouble. it was also an auto car that was daily driven by an older gent so i am guessing the bearing has never seen much stress anyways.

i also changed a clutch on a beetle in a parking lot..... but that is another story.
peteleo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed Centric brake shoes for my Cortina GT for $20. So far the wear rate is good. My local brake shoe shop charged $50 to reline cores. Found out that the linings came from Centric.

Just about all manufacturing now is done in Asia. Electronics, Tooling, Automotive parts, clothing and so on. Try finding an medium priced Italian bicycle made in Italy.
At the time i retired from UAL in 2008 FAA allowed engine overhaul done in China with Chinese made replacement parts.
Most R&D is done in the U.S. and Europe and Asia for Manufacturing.
At one time we were skeptical with Japanese made parts. Now they make the best bearings, spark plugs, and probably autos.
anthonid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that japanese parts are the best nowadays however working on aircooled vw's and porsches for a few years has left me a little scared of using chinese parts, especially where metallurgy in critical. i had so many parts made to poor specs and substandard metallurgy fail on those cars. i always look for nos english or german made parts for these enfo's since there still alot out there.
peteleo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commonly held belief that auto parts made in China are of inferior quality.
Yes, there still are some shady chinese co.s where the quality is very poor but they are being bought up by successful competitors. OEMs realized China
made serious improvements in work standards & training. Labor in China averages $1 hr. Pretty much everyone in the auto supply chain jumped into Chinese production.
I too feel more comfortable with OEM English and German made parts but give China another year or two. BTW: Report states that the Chinese MG is of better quality than the last years Rover produced the car in England.
anthonid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel the biggest problem i had with the chinese parts was the inconsistency of the quality. i had lots of good parts come from the chinese manufactors, especially a company called AA who sells chinese made hypereutectic pistons,h beam rods and other race goodies for vw's and 914's.nearly everything i got from them was great. but i had a new aluminum case from them with all of their other parts. built it up and had crazy oil pressure problems. turns out the case oil galleries were drilled poorly and cost me an engine build. also lots of problems with ball joints on the vanagons. the chinese ones would be loose literally on the first test drive. then theres the new chinese made ignition points, dont last an oil change without pitting.

in all though i feel you can find lots of good stuff from chinese manufactors but you have to weed through the crap.
Langlia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteleo wrote:
Report states that the Chinese MG is of better quality than the last years Rover produced the car in England.

Should be Chinese manufacturing slogan Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: