www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1600 Kent Engine Won't Run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfonseka_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: 1600 Kent Engine Won't Run Reply with quote

Hi there,
My '69 Ford Cortina 1600GT was sitting on my driveway and decided to pull into the garage. It started and ran fine and once I pulled in, I shut it off. Later on I started it again, reversed it out about 10 feet and it just died all of a sudden. I couldn't get it to start and stay running after that (it's been about 24 hours since that happened from now).

I checked if it has spark, and yes it does and it also has fuel. The car won't even fire up. I had some starting fluid laying around and decided to use that and it started but it won't stay running UNLESS I keep feeding it starting fluid.

I wonder what could be wrong? It's quite bizarre as this was all of a sudden and I've been driving it regularly before. If anyone could help me out please that would be great.

Thanks!
Daniel
peteleo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like an electrical issue. I would first disconnect the fuel line to the carb place a heavy rag underneath the fuel line output and have someone turn the engine over a few rotations. There should be a good pulse of fuel coming out the line. If fuel tinkles out it maybe a bad fuel pump.
To be continued...
JAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the fuel?
dfonseka_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the fuel pump and it's working as it should. Fuel is only about 2 weeks old
peteleo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you mentioned, this problem happened all of a sudden. I would now suspect the carb. Check the jets for any blockage esp. the primary and secondary idle jets. They are easily accessible.
dfonseka_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a new intake manifold gasket, took of the carb and cleaned the jets and put a new gasket in. I was able to get it started but it takes a lot of cranking for it to do so, even when it's up to temperature - used to start without any effort at all. I have to keep hitting the throttle to keep it running because it won't idle steadily varying from 500-1100rpm or sometimes it'll just die. I never messed with any of the adjustment screws and it was running perfectly before (idling at about 900rpm before when warm w/out choke).
dfonseka_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suspicion is a vacuum leak somewhere. Now, when cold, it'll start but it needs throttle continuously so it won't die. Doesn't need a lot but enough to keep it from dying. Maybe I didn't clean the jets properly either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: