www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1966 Lotus Cortina MK1 - BAT Auction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob_S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: 1966 Lotus Cortina MK1 - BAT Auction Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-lotus-cortina-mk1/

This 1966 Lotus Cortina MK1 is one of 180 left hand drive examples imported to North America. Originally delivered to New York, the car remained in the states until being exported to a collector in England in 2000 who commissioned a mechanical and cosmetic restoration. The owner fell ill and subsequently passed the car along to the selling dealer in 2015, who has campaigned it on European rallies and driven it over 3000 kilometers in the past 2.5 years. Power comes from the original 1557cc twin-cam four mated to 4-speed manual gearbox from the Lotus Elan. Finished in the correct Ermine White paint with Sherwood Green striping, the most recent service completed last summer included replacing all the fluids. This car is listed in the Lotus Cortina Registry as a genuine matching numbers example and is now being offered for sale in Jena, Germany.
Sideways

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Lotus Cortina MK1 - BAT Auction Reply with quote

Bob_S wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-lotus-cortina-mk1/

This 1966 Lotus Cortina MK1 is one of 180 left hand drive examples imported to North America. Originally delivered to New York, the car remained in the states until being exported to a collector in England in 2000 who commissioned a mechanical and cosmetic restoration. The owner fell ill and subsequently passed the car along to the selling dealer in 2015, who has campaigned it on European rallies and driven it over 3000 kilometers in the past 2.5 years. Power comes from the original 1557cc twin-cam four mated to 4-speed manual gearbox from the Lotus Elan. Finished in the correct Ermine White paint with Sherwood Green striping, the most recent service completed last summer included replacing all the fluids. This car is listed in the Lotus Cortina Registry as a genuine matching numbers example and is now being offered for sale in Jena, Germany.

Don't have the room otherwise I would.

(don't have the room in my bank account!)

As said by just about everyone who owned one or more of these - I wish I had kept mine.
peteleo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently a clone and not registered with the LC registry. Read comments
on BAT.

I'm not sure who else is commenting on the horrible misfortune that has
> befallen on Chrome Cars. Its one thing to be a victim of fraud, its a whole
> other thing to have it be uncovered in such a public way.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many have not been caught in the past?
peteleo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied:

The comments remind me of the joke I heard Stirling Moss tell once – “they made 30 of them, but only 70 survive.”

#1 most cloned '60's cars: AC Cobra, #2 Lotus Cortina, #3 Mini Cooper S.

My opinion is that this car is still worth the current bid price but now with this recent info may not sell as high as expected.
Sideways

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteleo wrote:
Copied:

The comments remind me of the joke I heard Stirling Moss tell once – “they made 30 of them, but only 70 survive.”

#1 most cloned '60's cars: AC Cobra, #2 Lotus Cortina, #3 Mini Cooper S.

My opinion is that this car is still worth the current bid price but now with this recent info may not sell as high as expected.

That's why I bid on it..I couldn't give a flying flim flam for the flawed registers, the knowledge borrowed from the (internet) pundits and the self-appointed experts and all the other nonsense which surrounds these cars.

Looked like a decent example for the price so I bid on it.

If I win I will have it shipped to the East coast, fly out with 2 gallons of Duckhams, a roll of electrical tape and a pair of mole grips and drive it to the West coast,

Its just a car.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car really presents well and I am sure it will make a good driver but I would think that it must be near it's maximum value for tribute car?? Time will tell.
Langlia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sideways wrote:

Its just a car.

And cars are to be driven. Good luck, how much is shipping from Germany to North America?

I looked at Shipping from London to Nova Scotia before, I think it was $2,000 and to Vancouver was $3,000..
Sideways

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Brett Wilkie"]The car really presents well and I am sure it will make a good driver but I would think that it must be near it's maximum value for tribute car?? Time will tell.[/quote
ui
The LCR view it as a genuine Lotus Cortina which has been re-shelled with a GT body...we can debate until the cows go home and then come back again about how 'genuine' this makes the car - any car - but I am fine with calling it a Lotus Cortina.

The Canadian dollar will probably kill it for me but I will watch to the end, still have some money for this.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a good thing that it has been incorrectly re-shelled? It will likely take the purists/collectors out of the bidding keeping the price reasonable. I would be perfectly happy to own and drive it just the way it is, the non Lotus aspects of the body shell would likely not be felt with the likes of my driving.
Sideways

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Wilkie wrote:
Maybe it's a good thing that it has been incorrectly re-shelled? It will likely take the purists/collectors out of the bidding keeping the price reasonable. I would be perfectly happy to own and drive it just the way it is, the non Lotus aspects of the body shell would likely not be felt with the likes of my driving.

Having owned and thrashed multiples of both Locorts and GT (always MK1s of course Very Happy ) I guarantee you that 99% of those purists and collectors - as well as enthusiasts like us, couldn't tell the difference no matter how hard you drove it.

The seller seems to be ignoring/denying the fact that the car has been re-shelled which is not a good thing regardless of who buys the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: