www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generator Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi Cortina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Generator Issues Reply with quote

On the 67 GT I'm working on the Gen light will not go off. The generator was refurbed about 500 miles before the car was taken off the road, going by a receipt and the date punched onto the generator itself. I tried testing it by removing the 2 wires, putting a jumper wire across the 2 spades and putting the volt meter to the generator and running engine. Results a little over 1 volt. I have another brand new Generator and get the same results. Any suggestions?

Thanks
peteleo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still get 1 v output when you rev the engine above 2K ? If so, could be a disconnected brush. Run the spare generator as a motor by connecting the two terminals together attach cable to positive post, negative side to gen. bracket. Should spin freely.
Bob_S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITs been a loooong time since I messed with generators. But as I remember, sometimes you have to polarize the generator to get it to work. Generators can be neg or pos ground depending on how they are polarize.
Bob_S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article on how to polarize a generator for either positive or negative ground.

http://fergusontractors.org/nfs/wp-content/uploads/technical-articles/Polarizing-a-Generator.pdf
Kiwi Cortina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gentleman, Will try over the weekend.
Kiwi Cortina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, tried both generators and both spin freely when connected to a battery, tried polarizing and still no volt output and the gen light is still on. any other suggestions?

Thanks
peteleo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gens are probably ok. I think there is an issue with the voltage reg. Most common problem with these is the cut-out circuit where the contacts are too wide. Also check that vol reg is grounded. There is a short black wire connected to the end of the reg to ground. Cleaning both ends.
JAN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test you did in the first post says that the generator itself is not functioning, but I assume that you raised the engine speed during the test? With no regulation, the voltage should rise in proportion to the rise in rpm, and should go up beyond 18V if you take the rpm up to this and get that result, the generator is fine and the fault is the regulator or regulator earth, or the wiring between. If the generator doesn't do this, the fault is there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: