www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

68 Cortina Mk II Deluxe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Readers Rides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: 68 Cortina Mk II Deluxe Reply with quote

I bought this Mk II Deluxe a couple weeks ago through a guy on the California Melee list. One owner from new, used as a daily driver around LA. Well cared for, with some minor bodging on mechanical items of late. Repainted some years ago, interior basically perfect other than collapsing headliner, zero rust, original Calif black plates.

Flew into LAX from Oakland and drove it 412 miles home. Got 32 MPG at 70 MPH the whole way. Have fixed the bodged throttle linkage and alternator installation, and now am sorting some steering arm issues, then I'll start using it. Lovely car.

I'm mostly into Alfas, but am a sucker for any Euro sedan of the 60s, and formerly had a 60 100E Anglia.

Andrew
Berkeley
IFHP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Andrew, really nice. Thanks for posting the picture.

Michael
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Here's a rear view.
andrew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update, I've sorted the car's immediate problems (throttle linkage, alt mount, air filter setup, steering slop and alignment), plus valve adjustment, timing (which was about 15 degrees retarded), idle setting, and it's running great. Using it as a daily driver right now and really enjoying it.

Andrew
Dave A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hers's an interior pic of your car. Smile
Dave A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lovely mk 2 by the way. I got the pic from the ebay ad when it was advertised on there.
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was on BringaTrailer.com, not ebay. I bought it off the California Melee at the same time it was on BaT.

What you can't see here is the dying headliner. It's completely fallen in now after its 400-mile drive home with the windows open. But I got a new one from Australia, and will have it installed soon. I've pulled all the relevant trim and whatnot out in prep for the job.

I used the car to lead a Berlina Register (Alfa) tour a couple weeks ago and it did fine. Runs great.

Andrew
Dave A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of purchasing one of those headlinings from Auto production trim in Australia. Is that where you purchased yours by any chance? If so, is it similar in appearance to your old one? I believe your car should have originally had the type with the stars design on it.

By the way, your car was on ebay in April 08. That's where I copied the pics
Dave
angliagt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acme (in the LA area),sells headliners,& carpets.
1-(800) 288-6078

- Doug
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I bought it from the Australian guys. Showed up right away, and looks OK, but haven't tried to fit yet. Current headliner does have that pattern, new replacement is more generic with a fine pebbly pattern, which I'm not crazy about, but I've already spent the money, so it's what I'm going to go with. Taking it to my upholstery guy in East Oakland on Monday to install it.

Didn't realize about ebay. What did it get bid to, if anything?

Andrew
Dave A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
Yes, I bought it from the Australian guys. Showed up right away, and looks OK, but haven't tried to fit yet. Current headliner does have that pattern, new replacement is more generic with a fine pebbly pattern, which I'm not crazy about, but I've already spent the money, so it's what I'm going to go with. Taking it to my upholstery guy in East Oakland on Monday to install it.

Didn't realize about ebay. What did it get bid to, if anything?

Andrew

So would you say that the new headlining is like a very fine sponge like texture? I'm just asking because I need one for my 1970 Cortina. The 69 and 70 models changed to that type while the 67 and 68 were the stars type.

Did they provide you with enough material to cover the inside C pillar panels? (the ones between the rear side window and the back glass) also may need enough to recover the sun visors

I dont remember what the bidding got up to but I do remember what a nice car it was. It was so nice I had to post some pics of it on Buysellcortina.co.uk where it was well liked as well. They dont have many original rust free cars there (or anywhere else) like you do on the west coast. Your car is very close in production date to my 68 GT (red as well) These ones are kind of transient models, whilst they are classified as Series 1, (Mark 2) they are sort of half series 1 (1967/6Cool and half series 2 (1969/70) I call them Series 1 1/2. They have the padded dash similar to series 2 had but did not have the glove box in the dash as earlier or later models had.

They have series 2 (rotating) inside door lock on the drivers door and series 1 inside lock on the passenger doors (where you push the handle in the opposite direction to lock the door).

Other Series 2 features on them are the series 2 outside door lock on the driver's door only while series 2 have outside door locks on both front doors (Earlier Series 1 one the otherhand had the outside key lock right in the knob itself on the driver's door)

Your car is also equipped with the series 2 type inside window crank handles, door handles, pull handles and door panels.

The battery is on the LH side like series 2 while the older series 1 had it on the RH side.

Your car has the Series 2 crossflow engine while earlier series 1's were non-crossflow.

Series 2 features that you dont have (other than that mentioned above)are things like fuse panel under the hood, inside hood release, extra defrost ducts in the corners of dash etc etc.

No matter what some experts may try and tell you, your car is definitely date correct. I've sorted this out from studying all the different models of Mark 2's over the last 30+ years. In that time I have stripped down about 12 and had 5 that were driver's and still own two.
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, this car has not been modified or molested really at all in its life. The headliner was original I'm sure from its fragility, and from how quickly the old thread died in the wind. The PO must have driven around with the windows up, or very slowly, before.

Yes, the new material has the spongy-looking surface. Headliner not needed for the C-pillars on this car, because it has snap-in C-pillar covers. They are covered in a different material (or painted? I can't recall at the moment), which I suppose could be non-originally covered, but I doubt it. I have not unfurled the new headliner yet to see how it matches up.

Only mods to this car were recent mechanical bodges after it left the longtime owner (throttle linkage, air cleaner, poor GM alternator installation, timing way off). All that's sorted now, though I did leave in the alt because I don't have a gen or its mount to reinstall.

Andrew
Dave A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snap in c pillar panels are normally covered with the same material as the headliner itself. Mine all started lifting and peeling so I peeled it all off and just painted them for now.
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car is at the upholstery shop and we'll see today how it looks.

Andrew
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is back from the upholstery shop. In general the pre-made Australian kit fits and looks good. Not all the upholsterer's work is stellar, but I didn't want to pay big money either for installation. There was extra material, which he used to cover the C-pillar covers.

The previous headliner material was a very plasticy star pattern; this is thicker material with the mottled "sponge" pattern, and it turns out matches the existing sun visor material almost perfectly. This material is kind of a very light grey; not off-white or cream. But again, looks fine and matches the visors like they were made for each other.

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: