www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tstrong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Alternator options Reply with quote

I have a 66 cortina GT (1600 crossflow) with generator and want to convert to alternator. Prefer a single wire (internal voltage regulator) setup. I am new to this forum and wondering what options are out there. Thanks in advance for your help. Todd
peteleo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,

This would be for a negative ground system.

One way is to use the one wire set up which connects straight to the pos. side of the battery. This would eliminate the voltage Reg.

I use a two wire 30 amp Bosch alt. which connects to the Batt. and field terminals of the voltage reg. on my Cortina '66 GT. This way the gen. light and amp meter functions.
Dave Bean Eng. 209-754-5802 sells an Alt. conversion kit that includes all the brackets. A 45 amp alt is more than efficient to operate H/L / fog lights
elec. fan & fuel pump and all ass'ys all at one time.

Pete
carl k

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a GM 10SI one wire alternator (about the most common, cheapest alternator available). These came factory with 37amp, 42amp, 55amp, 61amp, and 63amp ratings, aftermarket 100+ amps.

The lower mount is from a Chevy 250 six cylinder engine, it bolts right onto the existing holes with no mods. Get the one made from two welded pieces of bar stock, not the one piece cast one. The upper mount is a generic Chevy upper alternator bracket, cut and re-welded to get a sharp angle. Works well, now wipers/lights/heater fan all work at the same time.

Carl K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: