www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New old guy from Vancouver
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Member Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popped the engine mounts off the S2000 motor - thing of beauty that they are - because all we will need is a flat plate to which we will weld the new mounts.

Dropped them off at a local shop, expecting a quote for $50 - 60 based on past work at other shops and was given a quote next day for $300!

I didn't ask if that was each of for the pair, I was too busy laughing when I picked them up.

I'm going to buy a welder and we will do them ourselves.
angliagt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused - if you already have nice a MKI GT,
why do you need/want another one?

- Doug
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sideways wrote:
Popped the engine mounts off the S2000 motor - thing of beauty that they are - because all we will need is a flat plate to which we will weld the new mounts.

Dropped them off at a local shop, expecting a quote for $50 - 60 based on past work at other shops and was given a quote next day for $300!

I didn't ask if that was each of for the pair, I was too busy laughing when I picked them up.

Buying a welder is with out a doubt the best choice to make, especially if you see other uses for it. I bought a Lincoln 180 MIG Welder on gas a few years ago when it was on special at "Crappy Tire" The 180 is 220V but it works great, when my garage was built I installed and a dedicated plug for the welder. I am quite sure that this thing has easily paid for itself especially when I see quotes like yours.
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0588041P/lincoln-electric-lincoln-electric-mig-pak-180-wire-feed-welder-reviews/reviews.htm
Sideways

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angliagt wrote:
I'm confused - if you already have nice a MKI GT,
why do you need/want another one?

- Doug

"...the same week I found that Prefect, the Cortina I had been hunting for came up so I kept both for a while then sold the Prefect..."

I'm not looking for another one.

Not yet anyway.
Sideways

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Wilkie wrote:
Sideways wrote:

Buying a welder is with out a doubt the best choice to make, especially if you see other uses for it. I bought a Lincoln 180 MIG Welder on gas a few years ago when it was on special at "Crappy Tire" The 180 is 220V but it works great, when my garage was built I installed and a dedicated plug for the welder. I am quite sure that this thing has easily paid for itself especially when I see quotes like yours.
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0588041P/lincoln-electric-lincoln-electric-mig-pak-180-wire-feed-welder-reviews/reviews.htm

Picked up a Millermatic 211, not cheap but we can use it in the shop and it is an autoset so the guys who actually know how to weld properly (I did some 50 years ago but that is now just a distant memory) love it.

I have questions on both the brakes and suspension for this car - which I will post those in the Technical Section - I need a better rear axle, discs and suspension and better bigger fronts. I will probably go to 16" wheels as long as they look 'right' - not too low profile which should help with squeezing all the bits in the right places.
Sideways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast forward, did get to the ABFM where the car was well received, I contacted Fred and he loved what I had done to the car - he was a bit nervous about how the car would turn out - me too! - but was delighted with the result.

Still a bit of finishing to underhood, inside, centre console to be fabricated and then carpeting to cover all.

Then I will move on to the front suspension and steering which are a little inadequate for the car as it now sits.

This it at the ABFM

Then a little paint underhood...

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Member Introductions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: