www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MK Cortina GT Brakes and suspension upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sideways

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: MK Cortina GT Brakes and suspension upgrades Reply with quote

I am in the process of getting the drivetrain in the car and will also need to upgrade the front brakes and rear axle/brakes.

I have read all sorts about axle swaps, the Mustang 11 being the weapon of choice for many - any thoughts on this?

Alternative rear axles (with disc brakes) that you know about?

I will be going to bigger wheels - probably 16" so I can go up in size on both front and rear discs - anyone gone this route?

Here's the car. http://www.enfostuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1838&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the V8 Cortinas we used a Pinto rear which has a long tube on one side of the pumpkin and a short one on the other. By using 2 short sides it will be a perfect fit, width wise, under a Cortina and virtually indestructible. Many have solid 6 figure mileages under them plus it has the same PCD as a Cortina.
Gary
Sideways

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyrgary wrote:
On the V8 Cortinas we used a Pinto rear which has a long tube on one side of the pumpkin and a short one on the other. By using 2 short sides it will be a perfect fit, width wise, under a Cortina and virtually indestructible. Many have solid 6 figure mileages under them plus it has the same PCD as a Cortina.
Gary

Tks Gary, I had heard that Pintos were same as the 'stang 11s - what's the thoughts on going to discs on the back?

Needed or not?
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ran all V8 Cortinas on standard discs at the front and the Pinto rear drums with no problems whatsoever. Many were run on the track with out problems, either. These are very light cars. "Experts" would always tell me i need a 9' rear but it was unnecessary.
They would also tell me it was too nose heavy. I would just give them the keys and say, let me know. They would always come back with a big sh*t eating grin. Many were hardcore VARA racers, too.
Sideways

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyrgary wrote:
We ran all V8 Cortinas on standard discs at the front and the Pinto rear drums with no problems whatsoever. Many were run on the track with out problems, either. These are very light cars. "Experts" would always tell me i need a 9' rear but it was unnecessary.
They would also tell me it was too nose heavy. I would just give them the keys and say, let me know. They would always come back with a big sh*t eating grin. Many were hardcore VARA racers, too.

Thought the drums would be fine - I hear the comments on the nose heavy thing but once you actually drive one of these cars you get 'it'.

Hunting for Pinto...
Sideways

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Bushings Reply with quote

And since the steering etc is all hanging loose, I may as well replace all the steering and suspension bushes - any ideas where (ideally on this side of the pond/country) I can get these?
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Bean. JAE, maybe. Just guessing. Team Blitz?
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some digging and these guys may have what I/we need for this sort of thing

http://www.energysuspension.com/products/Sway-Bar-End-Link-Bushings.html
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet they can't even spell Cortina. Graeme at Enford in New Zealand has a selection in rubber or urethane according to my catalog. Good guy, always prompt service. Just got my head gasket set from him. I also think it pays to use the guys who go to all this effort as we all want them to stay in business.
Gary
Sideways

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried them (via Lordco) for the swaybar bashings, called at 2pm had them delivered and on the car by 2:45pm - they retail for $43 a set and are excellent material.

I'll see how they are with the TCA bushings which they did not have in stock (wonder why?)
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I take it back. What took you so long to fit them, LOL.
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, I added a servo - to the front brakes only, and installed Jeep Commanche vented rotors and RX7 7 four pot calipers and now the car stops as it should.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: