www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cortina Mk II tires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Cortina Mk II tires Reply with quote

I have a 1968 Cortina DeLux. It came with the orginal 13" steel wheels and skinny bias ply tires. I resently bought a set of a 13" aluminum wheels that are about 5" wide that I think came from a Capri. I want to get a set of tires that fit the aluminum wheels but don't rub on the suspension or fenders. Can anyone recommend a size of tire that I should purchase.

Tom
peteleo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Michelin supplies all weather 175/70x13 that fits nicely on a 5" wide rim and it should give you enough clearance between the strut / fender. Best place to buy these are at Costco.

Typical size 13" tires are becoming harder to find at general tire outlets.
Coker and Universal tire companies are producing obsolete 13" tires that were once made by the big tire manufactures but are very expense.

Pete
s2europa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock radial tire size for the Cortina was a 165(~80)R13. You can us those or a 185/70R-13. Those two sizes were stock on the Capri depending on engine size (and basically the same diameter). The 5 inch wheels are a little narrow for the 185s in my opinion, but Ford must have thought differently. The 175/70-13 tires are smaller in diameter than the 165/185s.

Last edited by s2europa on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies to my question and the information you provided. I will start watching the news papers and see who has the best deals on tires.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: