www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine rebuilder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1970 cortina GT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Engine rebuilder? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a place to get my Lotus twin cam rebuilt, I'm thinking it just needs work on the head, pretty smoky when running. I'm in Saskatchewan so the closer to me the better. I'm thinking there must be someone on the west coast somewhere that knows what they are doing? Any leads will be appreciated.
Langlia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin cam is having problems?? Sad

I hear they're pricey to fix. Can't offer and recommendations except getting a proper repair manual and finding a professional to rebuild it.

The amateur mechanic in me would say if it's smoking do a compression test an start there. Could be as simple as a bad head gasket eh..
angliagt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Kamp,of Kampena,has a shop at Sears Point,
& is one of the best twin cam builders - at least when I
had my Lotus.It won't be cheap,but it's cheaper to do it
right the first time.
Stroll on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth talking to John McCoy of Omnitech Engineering in Washington state. He has done extensive work with Twin Cams including further development of the cylinder head. There is an interesting video on his website.
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuilder? Reply with quote

1970 cortina GT wrote:
I'm looking for a place to get my Lotus twin cam rebuilt, I'm thinking it just needs work on the head, pretty smoky when running. I'm in Saskatchewan so the closer to me the better. I'm thinking there must be someone on the west coast somewhere that knows what they are doing? Any leads will be appreciated.

Smoky when running tends to indicate the block and if it is the head it could be a little costly but if it is just the rings/pistons/bores, they are (relatively) cheap and certainly easy to redo - the block is as basic as they come, I did lots of them back in the day.

Google Richard Chong of RAC (Richmond BC) he has been doing these engines in his Elan and his Formula Cars for decades, the shop is closed but he is still working.

And he charges Canadian dollars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: