www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mechanical V's Vaccum Distributors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi Cortina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Mechanical V's Vaccum Distributors Reply with quote

What if any are the advantages or disadvantages of using a mechanical distributor? I am looking at maybe putting one of theses in my Estate project.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9670
Langlia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I know pretty much nothing about the two, but based off some light reading it seems Mechanical has a better feel to it.. Stories of never getting the vacuum dialed in, mechanical feels more responsive, etc..

Can you convert your existing dizzy or do you need to buy that whole unit?
Kiwi Cortina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the whole unit. To put the Pertronix Ignitor in the existing dizzy costs about $140,plus coil. This whole package costs $250 with distributor, cap, rotor.
peteleo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent,

There is quite a few articles on the advantages & disadvantages regarding vacuum advance.
Personally, I prefer vacuum advance on a street car. Mainly engine idles better with it. Most say engine runs cooler and more economical. Spark plugs stay cleaner. Though haven't noticed any difference. Race cars don't use vacuum canisters as they are mostly running full throttle. Pete
enfoprefect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanical is ideal for a race car but not so much for a street car. It's almost sure to cause some stumble at lower rpm when wanting to accelerate just a little. Also mechanical usually doesn't give enough advance for highway cruising resulting in excess heat as well as fuel consumption. For years the only distributor available for VW Beetles was the Bosch 009, all mechanical unit. this worked reasonably well for the "younger" guys who mostly ran them with heavy foot either on the gas or brake pedal. fortunately that has changed recently with vacuum options again. Those of us who prefer to drive them more leisurely can really enjoy the difference.
Kiwi Cortina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I may hold off on it now due to the heat issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: