www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1966 Cortina GT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sideways

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: 1966 Cortina GT Reply with quote

I am debating selling my Cortina - have my eye on another car and need the space/money.

This car had a complete body restoration done (photos available) in 2009(?), I bought in 2012 if memory serves and at that time it had a 1.8L Fiat Twin Cam/5 speed which was fine, if still a little slow.

I had at my disposal at that time the following drivetrains (engine and transmissions)

Miata 2.0l - stock
Pinto 2.0L - modified
KA24DE - stock
Zetec 2.0L - no trans/other necessary bits
Taurus SHO - stock

and I noodled around with all of them, lots of measuring, lots of trying bits for fit etc and then I managed to find a whacked Honda S2000 so I pulled the drivetrain and all the other bits needed, tried it for fit and managed to get it in place, located pretty much where it should go for both reach (gearshift) and weight distribution (as far to the rear as possible).

The S2000 weighs about 90lbs more than the original Ford engine but I feel that the car is much more 'planted' than it was previously.

I then flattowed the car to AMT where Adam T. worked his magic and a month after I dropped it off, I drove it home.

(photos available).

At which point I determined that the rear axle was on its last legs - we found this out when I bust the axle on the way to Mission - there were very old broken teeth lying around inside the case as well as the ones I had just sheared off, so off to Ian Wood at IWE for a complete rebuild so that should be fine for another 5 decades or so.

The brakes have been upgraded to bigger discs and RX7 calipers - the biggest I could install with the (now) 14" wheels on the car, a booster has been addedto the front wheels and I threw away the umbrella brake and went to a hydraulic one on the rear, poly bushes here and there etc.

And I have set of Koni yellows which may find their way onto the car...

...depends on whether I sell it or not.

Thing is, it was suggetsed to me that if installed a lotus TC in the car (yes, I have one of those available) it could run as a Lotus Cortina under some of the club rules, not that I care too much about that as I am a lousy (racecar) driver and will not be going down that road.

So, how do I price this car?

I paid $17K for the car, $3.5 for the donor car, and $13K for the fabrication/modification/custom work by Adam - sounds like a lot but if you want quality work done, you need to pay for it - which I happily did, plus a lot more for all the bits and pieces which have found their way into the car.

Dozens of photos if anyone is interested.

So I would need $35K for the car but I really don't know if anyone would pay such a price...

...for a 9000rpm sleeper/screamer, capable (theoretically, aerodynamics permitting!) of a top speed of 148mph, with a 0-60 time of under 4 seconds, theoretical again, haven't abused the car enough to find out but which looks almost completely stock (has 14" Panasportz on it now).

Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car looks great and I do like the "Frod" cover, if I win on the Lotto I will be calling you. I have no idea how to place a realistic value on a vehicle like this but in my experience there are few vehicles that will return you the money you put in to it. I know that I am building mine to provide fun for myself and I won't be delusional about resale value, if it makes you happy you are getting your monies worth.
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Wilkie wrote:
The car looks great and I do like the "Frod" cover, if I win on the Lotto I will be calling you. I have no idea how to place a realistic value on a vehicle like this but in my experience there are few vehicles that will return you the money you put in to it. I know that I am building mine to provide fun for myself and I won't be delusional about resale value, if it makes you happy you are getting your monies worth.

Bang on Brett, normally I would have the car long enough to enjoy it and forget about the cost as I have done in the past but I haven't driven this enough to get annoyed with it yet!

No panic to divest myself here but as I mentioned, there is another car in the wings so...

'sides, I still have to mount the S2000 dash behind the Speedo/Rev counter 'pod' which I have made detachable (so that the car still looks stock when parked).
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, you should put some pictures up.
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Wilkie wrote:
Sounds interesting, you should put some pictures up.

I was waiting until it was completed, the S2000 dash currently sits where the heater was and I need to extend the wiring to have it sit behind the (removable) Speedo/Rev counter.

Lousy picture #1, the dash hinges away out of sight when not in use.

I took one another lousy photo when doing a test fit, the S2000 dash fills up the space quite nicely, just need to fix in place and then trim the edges.

Also want/need to move the foot operated headlamp switch plus the wiper switch plus the indicators to a single stalk to replace that weird ford piece that was used for indicators and horn (horn will be moved to centre cap of steering wheel.

zephyrgary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, and my wife will back me up, I have usually gotten around 50cents on the dollar on major projects. My 59 Jaguar didn't even do that well although that had a lot to do with having to re-do some poor workmanship. I am at the stage where I advise people to buy the closest thing to what they want instead of building it. By making a few compromises you can get the (almost) car of your dreams for a lot less money and hassle.
Cheers
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyrgary wrote:
In my experience, and my wife will back me up, I have usually gotten around 50cents on the dollar on major projects. My 59 Jaguar didn't even do that well although that had a lot to do with having to re-do some poor workmanship. I am at the stage where I advise people to buy the closest thing to what they want instead of building it. By making a few compromises you can get the (almost) car of your dreams for a lot less money and hassle.
Cheers

Which is where I am at with this future car as it is completely and very well done.

I also offer the same advice to other people Very Happy

PS, I did have an offer of $30K when the car was at the 2016 ABFM but I wasn't interested back then!!!!

It's all good, I may just have to increase the fleet again. Shocked Shocked Shocked
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized you are probably talking Canadian dollars. In which case that is not such a big hill to climb. Btw I just added to the fleet as well. Bought Bill Grant's former MK3 Zodiac with 302 and 4 speed. Should be here any day now.
Sideways

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyrgary wrote:
I just realized you are probably talking Canadian dollars. In which case that is not such a big hill to climb. Btw I just added to the fleet as well. Bought Bill Grant's former MK3 Zodiac with 302 and 4 speed. Should be here any day now.

I was talking US Dollars but will happily accept converted Canadian dollars!

A Zodiac with a 302 will be 'interesting'!

Last edited by Sideways on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope so...
Sideways

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was interesting. Right after I began this thread I had a call from a gent who said that he lurks here but does not post and he was interested in the car.

A few conversations, emails and texts later, the deal was done and the car left for California yesterday.

I already have seller's remorse but I will get over it by buying another project and playing with that for a while.

Bye...

zephyrgary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you.
Kiwi Cortina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts in California?
Langlia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to fill that Cortina sized hole in your heart with something quick.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/d/1963-ford-cortina/6230945823.html

This guy just dropped his price
Sideways

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwi Cortina wrote:
Where abouts in California?

Orange County.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: