www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibly breaking 2000E box
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Langlia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Possibly breaking 2000E box Reply with quote

Hey guys, have a standard ratio 3 rail box. One member on here may be interested in the 1st Gear and synchros..

Leaves a full box, considering breaking it apart if people are looking for specific pieces.
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy needs a box.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/d/wanted-ford-2000e-bullet/6287385249.html
I asked him to join the group.
Gary
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, he joined already.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads-up, there are different ratio sets on those gear boxes. The proper 2000e is the semi close as in figure 3 and the more common is the wide ratio (fig. 1) so count your teeth. Sorry, the picture is small.

Langlia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Gary,

He's out my way.

Thanks for the info Brett. I managed to track down those ratios after several hours... Finally stumbled on an eBay

I have the wide ratio box.
Langlia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any possibility you can tell me the origin of this bell housing Brett?

Last edited by Langlia on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's a big picture, I don't have a bell housing like it but I think it is the housing used in the Cortina 1500 series. There is nothing wrong with using that housing if you are staying with the stock size coil spring clutch, do you have the other bits that go with it?
I was once considering to use this similar 105e housing as it has the reinforcing ribs on the outside and therefore more room on the inside allowing the 8.5 inch Lotus clutch.

At the end of the day I am staying with the stock 2000e bell housing as it holds the Lotus clutch but getting the slave cylinder for it can be more expensive.
Here is the 2000e and 105e compared, the 2000e is about 6MM shorter because it uses the diaphragm spring clutch.

Langlia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was bolted to the 2000E Box I have.

It's stamped, if I can recall off the top of my head.. 2821E 70A40 C

I'm just trying to figure out what is what, need to sell stuff to keep buying pretty things for my Anglia.

I have one of those 105E bellhousings too, saw one go for just over £100 on the eBay.

Yah sorry about the monster picture, hope your monitor was big enough, can only post one size from my phone.

Curious about the G&C stamp above 109E
Langlia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the G&C ?? Maybe something to do with who cast it? My 105e housing had CBS on it so I just don't know.

What sort of clutch arrangement and bell housing are you using in your Anglia? I think it is better to use a diaphragm type on your crossflow but if you are using the older/deeper bell housing you will need a spacer for your throw out bearing. If you are using the later 2000e bell with the larger slave cylinder (like mine) you will likely need to use a .700 master cylinder. I am curious as to what gearbox you are using? The 2000e box has it's shifter coming out near the end of the tail housing as in this photo.

When I did my 105e up many years ago I used it like that but found it annoying that I had to cut a new hole for the shifter. The box I am using for my 100e Anglia now is a 3 rail box but it is fitted with the Quaife ultra-close gear set. I had to fabricate the whole transmission tunnel for my crossflow conversion so I decided to keep the shifter forward.

As I said I am using the Cortina tail housing with the shifter in the forward position, you can see in the photos that it comes out in a decent opposition. In your 105e the floor is already set up for this.

Langlia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of pictures nice! Always good to have something to visualize.

I'm using the standard Cortina GT Box.

as seen here,

Then I have a Wooler remote for the gear shifts, it's going to look quite nice I think. Maybe later on down the road do something else, not entirely sure.. I think this should be a good setup for now.

Google says gear ratios are to be..

Number of gears:

Gear ratios (overall):

I

2.972 (11.59)

II

2.009 (7.84)

III

1.397 (5.45)

IV

1 (3.9)

And a 4.10 Rear End, This gearing business isn't really my forte, so I can't comment on too much, apparently I won't have a very fun time on the highway? Quite possible will need a rear end ratio somewhere down below 3.5?

What are your thoughts?
dfonseka_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one who posted this ad -
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/d/wanted-ford-2000e-bullet/6287385249.html

I took out my transmission yesterday and teeth came out of the oil drain plug. It was pretty bad. First gear is completely gone as it clunks terribly when driving. It can go into gear just fine and I can take off in second and the rest of the gears are working as they should. Well.... reverse gear is pretty destroyed too.

I do have a semi-close ratio gearbox (as fitted in the mk2 GT's) I was just wondering if it's worth just fitting in new gears that I need (first and reverse) or is it better just to get a complete new 2000e gearbox.

And I'm quite interested in that gearbox. I still have to contact a fellow who knows about these transmissions.

dfonseka_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langlia wrote:

as seen here,

Then I have a Wooler remote for the gear shifts, it's going to look quite nice I think. Maybe later on down the road do something else, not entirely sure.. I think this should be a good setup for now.

Number of gears:

Gear ratios (overall):

I

2.972 (11.59)

II

2.009 (7.84)

III

1.397 (5.45)

IV

1 (3.9)

And a 4.10 Rear End, This gearing business isn't really my forte, so I can't comment on too much, apparently I won't have a very fun time on the highway? Quite possible will need a rear end ratio somewhere down below 3.5?

What are your thoughts?

I have a 3.9:1 rear end and it's good for accelerating esp, within the city but at 100km/h I'm at about 3300rpm (If my tach is accurate). However, it depends whether you drive on the highway a lot . A 3.55 or a 3.73 would be better for highway driving for sure. And of course, I'm no gearing expert. This is just what I've heard and what I've experienced.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langlia wrote:

as seen here,

Number of gears:

Gear ratios (overall):

I

2.972 (11.59)

II

2.009 (7.84)

III

1.397 (5.45)

IV

1 (3.9)

What are your thoughts?

I think those semi close ratio gears are great for our cars, that is the same gearbox ratio and rear end that I used to run in my old 105e. It can become a bit busy with revs if you are going long distances on the freeway though. I remember swapping in my 3.7 for long trips up to the B.C. Interior.
I can't tell from the picture what bell housing that is, I can though see the box case is the earlier one without the reinforcing ribs on the outside as on your 2000e box.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking if I had that collection of bits I would put the semi close gears in the rib case gear housing with the earlier tail housing and use the 105e bell housing in case you ever want to increase your clutch size. You would have to use the Burton spacer on your throw out bearing though with the diaphragm clutch. Here are two articles you may have read already but they are good.

https://105eoc.com/technical/technical-articles/gearing-up-for-a-change/

https://105eoc.com/technical/technical-articles/uprating-clutch/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: