www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for starter for a 69 twin cam
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sideways

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteleo wrote:
According to the Lotus elan forum a 135 ring gear diameter is larger than the 132 r/gear. So apparently the Lucas 11 th starter won't work.

Lucas starters are reliable if properly rebuilt including refurbishing the solenoid.
Below is a HD rebuilt 3 bolt Lucas starter. I've cut the center mount off for better clearance to fit the Cortina / Anglia. These will last for years in a original spec engine.

The starter is basic and reliable - the problem is the weight/length of the Lucas - if not properly torqued and if it works loose, as it does, the starter tilts and then starts munching away at the ring gear (please do not ask me how I know!).

The Japanese starters I used were a third of the weight of the Lucas and two thirds the length and did not ever work themselves loose.

And if they ever did fail (never happened) a quick trip to the parts store got you another, right off the shelf.
peteleo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell housing depth doesn't effect both type original inertia / pre-engaged starters as they are mounted flush with the back of the block. Aftermarket flywheels may have a ring gear off-set and may require a special starter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: