www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anglia Transformation (Part 3) Broken dreams and bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanchfi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Anglia Transformation (Part 3) Broken dreams and bolts Reply with quote

Tonight I wasn't so lucky, I stated by giving the turn signal surround screws another try, still no luck. I sprayed them off with some carb cleaner to try to dissolve the undercoating, it seemed to work pretty well, but I am going to let it sit overnight.

Then I tried to remove the passenger side turn signal and ended up breaking off 2 of the 3 bolts. I am not too worried since they appear not to be part of the unit itself, but bolts with square shoulders, similar to bumper bolts. I doubt I can find direct replacements, but a small bolt should work, and it will be hidden behind the lens.

The really bad part is I broke off the outside bolt on the passenger side turn signal surround. While lying on my back cursing, I traced the wires trying to decide if lumps were connections or just tar and dirt. No luck there either. Though every wiring diagram and illustration I have found shows connectors

Next I moved to the door panels, or door cards as the British call them. Right after removing the window crank and door opening lever I realized I had not paid any attention to their orientation. I quickly grabbed the camera and took a couple pictures of the other side for reference.

In order to get the panel off, I unscrewed the top of the arm rest and removed it to find 2 other screws holding it to the door, making sure to put the screws back in their place. I carefully unclipped the edge of the door panel but was stumped because something was holding the panel to the door near the center. After scratching my head for a while I realized the arm rest screws I put back in their place were holding it. I was surprised to find the plastic dust shield looking like it had never been removed. I made sure to use a marker to label it and draw an up arrow to make sure I got it back in the right way.

After looking around in the door with a light, it looks like the door handle is
just held on with one screw and a nut, with the linkage secured by a cotter pin. I sprayed them down with penetrating oil, and try them tomorrow.

Before calling it a night I took a look under the hood to see where the front wiring harness went. A set of connectors were all plain as day. Though I will need to pop a grommet out of the wheel well to get all the wiring through for the lights. I think I will warm it up with the heat gun before trying to pop it out.

I did some more research on painting today. Originally I figured I would buy a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) paint gun, for around $100 and get a better compressor for a couple hundred. After searching around for quite a while I found I would need to buy a $1000+ compressor to get the CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) that the gun would require. I'm hoping to stop by a paint shop tomorrow and see if they rent equipment, or have any suggestions.

-James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: