Fuel pump

Post technical questions here.
dfonseka_

Fuel pump

Post by dfonseka_ »

Was driving along and the car started bogging down and eventually died. It started up a couple times but kept dying everytime afterwards to a point where it wouldn't start up again. I undid the fuel line to the carburetor and nothing was coming out so I had it towed home.

Figured the fuel pump was the culprit. Took it off the block and the push rod on the pump is a little stiff but it still worked. I put a line from a jerry can into the pump and pumped it by hand and fuel came out. I thought the cam lobe was the problem but when cranked over and my finger over the lobe, it seemed fine with no grooves and not rounded off. Put the pump back on the engine and still nothing, didn't even feel suction on the inlet pipe and no pressure on the outlet.

There's no screws or anything to take it apart so I couldn't check the diaphragm inside.

I don't know what the problem is and I'm not certain at this point. Always preferred mechanical fuel pumps but is it better and more reliable to switch to an electric one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel
'69 Cortina Zetec
JAN

Post by JAN »

Might not be the pump; could be a blockage in the line or in the tank. Try blowing back into the tank; if the pump picks up after that I 'd remove and thoroughly clean out the tank.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Is there a spacer between the pump and the block?
dfonseka_

Post by dfonseka_ »

Yes there is. It's been on the engine ever since its been rebuilt about a year ago and was working fine since.

Also checked the lines all the way to the tank and it wasn't clogged up.
'69 Cortina Zetec
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

I know when I bought my 1970 GT there was a lot of rust in the filter of the fuel pump, ended up removing the tank getting it cleaned up and an epoxy coating added to the inside. As another precaution I added an extra fuel filter in the line.
Good luck, Lee.
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
dfonseka_

Post by dfonseka_ »

Looks like the tank was full of crud and just restricted the flow of fuel. Thought the lines weren't clogged but looks like I was wrong. Had the tank sent out and came back looking brand new, changed all the lines and replaced the fuel filters and added an extra one. Flow is much better than it was before and everything seems to be in working order now.

Thank you all for the help!
'69 Cortina Zetec