www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index
Google
www.EnfoStuff.com
Forum for all North American English and European Ford Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"66 Lotus Cortina

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteleo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: "66 Lotus Cortina Reply with quote

Has some issues:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-lotus-cortina-mk1-4/
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your comment there Pete and I too can't really see the rear axle hump, maybe if he pulled up the trunk mat we should see something like this.

It should also have this drive shaft, but having said that I ditched the original two piece drive shaft on my own Locort way back in the day.

Sideways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel (almost) sorry for anyone who has what they believe to be a genuine Mk1 Lotus Cortina - and especially so when they put it up on BaT.

While there are a select few who truly know these cars - and I applaud them for stepping up as they should and must do - for every one of these nice people there is/are 47 ignoratti lined up to comment on a vehicle they know so little about, other what they have read on the Internet (I read it on the internet, therefore it is true Confused )

Pretty much all of those who comment on these cars and are also on this site know whereof they speak but as for the others who wouldn't know a Lotus Cortina from a Lotus Blossom, sans the internet... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

[/u]
zephyrgary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's why I stopped commenting on there years ago. Way too many people reciting "facts" that they learnt from the bloke down the pub. Very Happy
Sideways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyrgary wrote:
It's why I stopped commenting on there years ago. Way too many people reciting "facts" that they learnt from the bloke down the pub. Very Happy

Everything I know, I learned from the Internet Very Happy
peteleo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cars should be scrutinized. The issues i asked about the car, along with others were sorted by the seller. After that the bidding continued. These go for quite a lot of money and you want to be sure you're getting the real deal.

There are fake Lotus Cortinas out there. VIN tags are easily reproduced. I've seen one LC years ago with a welded in hump in the Reno, NV area.

Assuming ~160 LC were imported to N. America. There are probably 180 on the road.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more pictures added now, maybe that will disclose more. I did notice when I looked closely that there appears to be the studs where the center drive shaft mount would have been, do stock Cortina's have these studs?

peteleo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye, Brett. Only the LC shells had those studs mounted at the Lotus factory. The parts book shows the split D/S for the LC only. It's been mentioned that the last MK1 LC produced had a single D/S ??. The LC I've seen in the 70's
had the split D/S. I believe when the coupling shaft ass'y wore out some reverted to a single D/S.
1970 cortina GT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question here Brett, your picture shows the trunk rubber seal mounted to the bodywork ala MK2, I too attached mine to the bodywork but was reprimanded by several and told that it should be stuck to the trunk lid. Were they different on different models?
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1970 cortina GT wrote:
Quick question here Brett, your picture shows the trunk rubber seal mounted to the bodywork ala MK2, I too attached mine to the bodywork but was reprimanded by several and told that it should be stuck to the trunk lid. Were they different on different models?

That is not a photo of my car but I see what you mean, I took that picture from another BAT auction as a reference shot of the axle hump. This is that auction.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-cortina-2/

I looked at a few other auctions a well and you are right, the seal is installed on the lid. My 100e cars also have the seal on the lid but I was hoping to find one that would easily attach to the body instead.
Brett Wilkie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteleo wrote:
Good eye, Brett. Only the LC shells had those studs mounted at the Lotus factory. The parts book shows the split D/S for the LC only. It's been mentioned that the last MK1 LC produced had a single D/S ??. The LC I've seen in the 70's
had the split D/S. I believe when the coupling shaft ass'y wore out some reverted to a single D/S.

As I mentioned earlier, my 67 Mk2 Lotus did have a two piece shaft. I remember tossing it when a u-joint failed, a friend gave me one of his spare drive shafts so it seemed a cheap way out at the time.
Canucktina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based solely on my admittedly " through the mill " project shell I believe the 2 piece drive shaft bracket is hung with a nut and bolt arrangement not studs. There are some small reinforcements added to the shell { floor pressing }where the bolt holes are located.
The drive shaft was removed when I bought the project however the hanger bracket still had the nuts and bolts with it , refastened after removal. They are typical British head marking bolts. If someone had drilled the holes after the fact to replace broken or stripped studs I would expect cheap North American hardware store fasteners.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.EnfoStuff.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: