Taking the leap - 68 Cortina Race Car

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
WarpdSpazm

Taking the leap - 68 Cortina Race Car

Post by WarpdSpazm »

Hi all!
The name is Ray and as of last month I am the proud new owner of a '68 Cortina GT which seems to have spent most of it's life as a Race Car; first in the mid-west region of the US and now with me in the North East.

This is my first real venture into the classics. For a short time, I did have a '72 Triumph TR-6, but never did much in the way of wrenching on that.

I will be fielding the Cortina in a variety of racing events, many endurance in nature, so I am looking to get very familiar with the drivetrain and other bits of this fun little car.

She has her original 1.6L block. I'm told there's a medium performance Cam and breathing through a Weber 32 DFD. Beyond that, I'm discovering as I dig.

My first steps now, as she has sat for the last 4 years is to try and freshen her up as best as possible. I'm doing a fluid change and removing the old gas in the next week. From there, lines, connections and body.
1968 Cortina GT
She's a racecar!
RoadRacer68

Post by RoadRacer68 »

Welcome aboard! Nice, another Cortina racecar!
WarpdSpazm

Post by WarpdSpazm »

Thanks!
I don't have pics up that I've taken yet, but here's a link to the car. SHe's been around and has quite a history!

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/06/08/tur ... d-cortina/
1968 Cortina GT
She's a racecar!
WarpdSpazm

Post by WarpdSpazm »

A little web searching just found me this cool bit of history on the car too!

http://webpages.charter.net/hmrracing/h ... na_003.htm

I know that HMR sold to Ron in New Jersey, who ran it 2-3 times on open track days at NJMP in 2009, it then sat unti lI purchased last month. All of the parts were in an old shed and many rusted and were attacked by mice and such...

The car is still solid and running which is the most important part!
1968 Cortina GT
She's a racecar!