Mk2 Zephyr in Chicago 11/7 Update

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
Avmaviator

Mk2 Zephyr in Chicago 11/7 Update

Post by Avmaviator »

Hey everybody,

I was directed towards this forum by a few members of the MK2 Zs owners club after I introduced them the car I bought a couple weeks ago.  My name is Arnaud (Arno), originally from France but I have been living in Chicago for the last 20 years.

A friend of mine in Michigan went to meet an elderly couple who was getting rid of their RV. Comes to find out that they were also the original owners of this 1960 Zephyr, who has been parked since 1968 under a cover in a garage. My buddy called me to see if I was interested in the Zephyr as I was looking for a car that was different... So he brought both the RV and the Zephyr home, which was challenging as the brakes were seized on the Zep as you can imagine from sitting since 68.  I mentioned earlier that I have been looking for something different as everybody here, on the classic car tours or whatnot, has camaros, mustangs, chevelle, etc.. dozens of these everywhere. So when this thing popped up I knew it would hit the "usual and rare" bill. I can't seem to find any for sale here in the US. My previous car was/is a 1965 Shelby Cobra "replica", I use replica loosely as it is more of a continuation sereies, aluminum bodied car and a bunch of other neats stuff (can post some photos of it if interested).

I was able to take some photos of the Zephyr two weeks ago when I stopped by my friend's barn, where the car is stored. I was pleasantly surprised of the shape of the car. It only has one dent (by the left headlight), straight panels, little rust compared to what we are used to here, and the interior looked to be great condition. What a cool and unique car!  I have not tried to fire it up yet as I would like to clean out the gas tank first and finish taking care of the brakes.

I'm going to bring the car home this fall but I need to make room in the garage first. Right now I'm wokring on fixing all the brakes with remachined drums, rebuilt calpiers, etc... at my friend's barn. Once that is done, I'm going to clean the tank out, and do a fluid flush. I have already installed new plug wires along with plugs, cleaned out the points, and would like to rebuild the carb. I'm pretty excired about this project.

I'm not sure which direction to take this car. I thought about the V8 swap since these engines are so easily available here, but the more and more I read about these cars I feel like I should keep the 6 and make it a little hotter. I know that will be more difficult for me as most of the parts are in the UK and Australia. I will be making my own branch hearders once I get it fired up. 
I do have some questions for you guys, which I will post in the appropriate sections of the forum.

Looking forward to learning a bunch and hopefully contribute a bit too :)

Here are some pictures

And here is the cobra, such a fun car.
Last edited by Avmaviator on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Hi Arnaud,

I read your story on the MK2 CZZ owners club and was one of the members that recommend you join the EnFostuff forum.
There are a few of us that have MK2 Zephyrs and are willing to help with info or parts. Your model being a lowline, does it actually have disc brakes or maybe O.D. These cars are so rare in N.America. Hoping that you keep it as stock as possible.

Welcome and great find.

Pete
Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

Hi Arnaud,
Welcome!
Nice looking car, I would vote for keeping it stock too.
Cheers,
Bob
Bob_S
First car 70 Cortina GT
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I have one too. I just purchased it out of Montreal. I am getting a bit of blow by, prolly rings, But as the car sat for a while it might free up with use. If not I may have to rebuild it. You can get good power out of these. Kevin at ZMS in England had a batch of headers made a while back and when we last spoke he had one set left. Not cheap at £750 plus shipping. Coby down under make a set for around $300 but no-one believes it will fit a LHD car because of the steering box.
My previous MK1 h about 200bhp with the ultimate spec of Mays head, 6 branch and triple Webers. Might fees quite slow now by comparison.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Nice find, I know these 6 cylinders sound great when modified but it's yours to do whatever??
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Avmaviator

Post by Avmaviator »

Thanks for nice comments everybody! I'm really looking forward to getting it back on the road. One big reason for this car is so that I can cruise with the whole family (two boys), as the cobra is pretty exclusive from that stand point...
I have been doing a lot of reading online recently. Starting to get an idea of what is going on...haha. Now I'm really motivated to make space in the garage to bring this baby home!
peteleo wrote:Hi Arnaud,

I read your story on the MK2 CZZ owners club and was one of the members that recommend you join the EnFostuff forum.
There are a few of us that have MK2 Zephyrs and are willing to help with info or parts. Your model being a lowline, does it actually have disc brakes or maybe O.D. These cars are so rare in N.America. Hoping that you keep it as stock as possible.

Welcome and great find.

Pete
Thanks Pete! It does not have disc brakes unfortunately and I don't know if it has OD (sounds crazy but so far I have looked around the car for 2 mins when I stopped by my buddy's barn in Michigan . Haha)
I'm going to keep it Very stock for the most part, but would like to make the engine hotter ;)
Bob_S wrote:Hi Arnaud,
Welcome!
Nice looking car, I would vote for keeping it stock too.
Cheers,
Bob
Thanks Bob!
zephyrgary wrote:I have one too. I just purchased it out of Montreal. I am getting a bit of blow by, prolly rings, But as the car sat for a while it might free up with use. If not I may have to rebuild it. You can get good power out of these. Kevin at ZMS in England had a batch of headers made a while back and when we last spoke he had one set left. Not cheap at £750 plus shipping. Coby down under make a set for around $300 but no-one believes it will fit a LHD car because of the steering box.
My previous MK1 h about 200bhp with the ultimate spec of Mays head, 6 branch and triple Webers. Might fees quite slow now by comparison.
Gary
200bhp? Wow, that's awesome. I would love Mays head but that is going to hard and expensive to get, although I did find a company who makes replicas. I would love to get more power out of the engine without ruining it and its appearance.
I was aware of the Coby headers and am glad you mentioned that these might not fit with the LHD cars. I'm looking forward to making my own headers, I enjoy metal work as a useful hobby.
Bernie talked to me a bit about some of the mods he has done to his Zeph, mainly the Mk3 head and diff. These sound like nice and worthwhile mods, all the while keeping it in the Zeph family per say.
Brett Wilkie wrote:Nice find, I know these 6 cylinders sound great when modified but it's yours to do whatever??
I'm with you on the sound! An internally modified 6 should be fair game to me as far as keeping it "stock". Maybe even different heads and such, as long as they are other Zeph parts, or purposely built parts for the Zeph.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

The MK3 head is supposed to be good for a 25bhp bump, but again caution is needed. Most of the bump is from the exhaust manifold which is a split 3/3 pipe system that flows miles better than the hockey stick rubbish fitted as stock. Unfortunately, most say that too would foul the steering box, so beware.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
pushpuller

Post by pushpuller »

Nice mk2
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Nice find Arno! I think you got lucky on the condition of the car. I do hope you keep the I-6, as that is the character of the car. All the best.

Michael
European Ford Collector
Avmaviator

Post by Avmaviator »

Thanks Micheal :)

I hoping to bring it home this upcoming weekend, so excited. Then, I'll jump into it so it can, hopefully, be ready to go for the spring, as things are starting to cool off here.

I'm definitely keeping the 6. I'm actaully pretty excited to get this engine back into shape and a little hotter. I'm going to build my own header/extractors. I think I'll buy a set of spacers for that (Yesterford?)
I was also recommended that a weber 28/36 dcd would make an improvement in the car, so I'm hunting for one right now.

I'll keep everybody updated about the progress I make.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Arno,

I have a spare 28/36 DCD that came off a Zephyr MK2 that had a VW Derrington kit installed. You would need to get your inlet manifold modified to except the Weber.

Pete
Avmaviator

Post by Avmaviator »

peteleo wrote:Arno,

I have a spare 28/36 DCD that came off a Zephyr MK2 that had a VW Derrington kit installed. You would need to get your inlet manifold modified to except the Weber.

Pete
Sent you a pm :)
Avmaviator

Post by Avmaviator »

Taking the Zephyr home! We're currently on the road back towards Chicago. Will get her cleaned up and more pics coming early this week.

Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Cool Car.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Looks good in black. More details here: http://www.enfostuff.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
European Ford Collector