New Toy - Mk1 Cortina Wagon - drivetrain options?

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
Sideways

New Toy - Mk1 Cortina Wagon - drivetrain options?

Post by Sideways »

Photos to follow...

I will be picking up that sad pile from Mark C at the end of this month - the Mk1 Cortina Wagon which fell off the trailer and hurt itself and which Mark then cut and welded until it resembled a wagon once more.

Needs a total going over, body will need to be scrubbed and rubbed prior to paint being applied but there is no (visible) rust remaining so...

Drive train - it doesn't have one so I am open to suggestions as to what I should stuff in there.

Just to shorten the list - here are the ones I actually had in the engine bay of my previous Mk1 GT - some of which were rejected for one reason or another.

Zetec - sourcing the parts and marrying it all together was a bit tedious
Miata - I couldn't stand the look of all that plastic
Pinto - looked fine but was a little 'peaky' for road use (it was an ex-drag engine)
Fiat - that was the drivetrain in the car when I bought it but it was a bit weak
KA24DE - (240SX motor) decent enough engine with great potential if/when supercharged but, well, no reason
Gen1 SHO - still high on my list though it is a little heavy and sourcing some of the 'lecky parts is a little tricky and finding a good one will be tough

S2000 - been there, done that so may go that route again but if I can find a Ford (RWD) drivetrain which performs as needed AND which looks the part under the hood (see Gen 1 SHO for reference :D ) I make keep it all Ford.

The long suffering has a BMW 328i which I enjoy driving so that is a possibility

Also looking at grabbing a broken Tesla Model 3 and plopping the relevant bits into the Cortina, making it a Cortesla.

The winning suggestion gets a photo of me drinking a beer on their behalf. :D
gjz30075

Post by gjz30075 »

Maybe a small block Ford?
joeyramone30

Post by joeyramone30 »

Here is what I have been considering for my Mk2 - may never happen though.

Ford Cyclone V6 from a 2015-2017 Mustang - 300hp.
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

How about all aluminum GM LV1 V6

s2europa

Post by s2europa »

Maybe you could consider one of the EcoBoost engines from a big variety of Ford products. They seem to be plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Keeps it all Ford then, too. They make gobs of power and loads of torque.

Wiki link here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoB ... 80%932015)
Billy1

Post by Billy1 »

No question here. Throw in a engine from a Ecoboost Mustang manual 6 speed trans.. They are at junkyards and crash sites like Copart. Get the whole car so you also have the computer, gas tank, bits and pieces etc. 310 hp 320/350 lb ft. of torque.

Tune and intercooler will get you almost 400hp/400 lb/ft torque.
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

If you're gonna go through all the effort of doing a motor swap do something that at least sounds decent.

If you're gonna get a mustang motor and it involves cutting things up you might as well stuff a 5.0 in there, Google tells me it's about 100 lbs more than a 2.0 ecoboost.

Then you're not fitting the intercooler and pipes and taking up precious space.

Japanese.. at least parts are cheap and plentiful.

Couldn't find dimensions but here's a local BrZ motor and transmission. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/pt ... 09630.html
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I had a lot of fun with both my previous 302 Ford powered Cortinas. As much power as you want and a glorious soundtrack.
the older i get,the faster i went...
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

A 302 with an alloy top end is reasonably light. Alloy blocks are available as well but pricy.
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Stock coyote block is aluminum already
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

But then you end up with all that messy electronics. And a rather large engine. Hard to imagine needing more than the output of a half decent pushrod 302 with alloy GT40 heads and a single 4 bbl. Simplicity is a virtue.
Make it light, make it stiff in the body shell, use soft suspension settings and nice sticky tires. No need for anything more complicated than that.
Watch the historic racing early Mustangs , more than enough power for any street car. Boss's are another thing all together. Best of all worlds in 1969 and 70. But a significantly larger and more costly engine for a small engine bay.

Greg
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

For the rear end we used to source a 3.00 Mustang II or Pinto axle. The diff is offset. So you take a second short axle tube and weld it to the axle assembly and it is a perfect fit on a MK1. Plus, the bolt pattern is the same as Cortina.
the older i get,the faster i went...
gjz30075

Re: New Toy - Mk1 Cortina Wagon - drivetrain options?

Post by gjz30075 »

Any progress?
Sideways

Re: New Toy - Mk1 Cortina Wagon - drivetrain options?

Post by Sideways »

gjz30075 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:32 amAny progress?
Due to a cancer situation in the family, (not me) I put it on hold. Now that things are settled and the cancer is in remission I have decide that another crazy build is not doable.

The last one took 7 years to complete and if I took the same amount of time with this one, I would be in my 80s before I could drive it! :D :D

Its all good.