Does any one know ...

List interchangable items for hard to find parts
Elan

Does any one know ...

Post by Elan »

Does anyone know what parts interchange with other makes? Certainly they used the same distributor, carburetor, starter, transmission, brakes, or their parts, on other British cars.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Not much interchange with other British cars of that era. Only the dist cap, points, oil filter, oil cap, rad. cap, brake shoes, gen / starter, voltage reg.
I may have missed a couple of items that others may know.
JAN

Post by JAN »

Earlier Fords tended to use standard Lucas electrical equipment such as starters, charging, ignition and lighting, but from about 1966 began a move towards in-house components, which were generally inferior to what they replaced. Similarly, brake parts were for a long time Girling products, carbutettors being Zenith, Solex and later Weber.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

JAN wrote:Earlier Fords tended to use standard Lucas electrical equipment such as starters, charging, ignition and lighting, but from about 1966 began a move towards in-house components, which were generally inferior to what they replaced. Similarly, brake parts were for a long time Girling products, carbutettors being Zenith, Solex and later Weber.
Hi Jan, I think I must have passed through your neck of the woods yesterday on our train trip from London to Glasgow, I was thinking of you when I took this photo at the station.

Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

You were nearer than that, Brett. About three miles south of Wigan on the railway is Bamfurlong station long gone,, and the line runs about half a mile to the west of my home.

I didn't see you wave, though!
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I will wave next time through for sure. I haven't used the rail system in Canada in decades so I don't know what their performance is like but I am impressed with the speed and punctuality we experienced on the U.K. rail system, my Wife was quite relaxed at 125 MPH.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

Just glad you're enjoying yourselves, and the rest of the holiday lived up to expectations.