Book, DVD, Supplier Reviews
IFHP
Site Admin

'Ford Eifel Personen-Kraftwagen Baujahre 1935 - 1939'

Post by IFHP »

Book review

'Ford Eifel Personen-Kraftwagen Baujahre 1935 - 1939'
by Wolfram Düster

At last, I am delighted to report the publication of Wolfram Düster's book on the Ford Eifel car and van and their variants. The wait has been well worthwhile. Written in the German tongue, here we have 168 fully illustrated pages, putting on paper the world's leading Eifel expert's knowledge of these Köln products.

Bound in a handsome soft cover, the story starts with a foreword by Dr. Wolfgang Reicke, the Director of Publicity at Ford GmbH. Wolfram's history with Eifels is then traced back to his father's car pre-war, in 1938. Wolfram obtained his driving licence in 1939 but, due to war service, was not able to own an Eifel of his own until after his marriage in 1947.

The building of the Ford plant in Köln and its opening in June 1931 are covered in detail. The first Eifel (imported Model "C") was assembled on 21st May 1935. [John Keenan's Model "C", BKN 319 is illustrated as an example of the Dagenham model]. The different body styles are then covered in chronological order; the introduction of the Lincoln Zephyr radiator grille and 'alligator' bonnet in February 1937 being the most significant design change associated with the Eifel story.

Following a technical run-down of the car, each of the many coachbuilders associated with the Eifel is described in detail with full illustrations of their different body styles. The ancillaries manufacturers [includin Migö boots - illustrated by Thorsten Ehrenteit's 1937 Eifel] and the 'specials' are covered in detail, before an excellent chapter on the wartime service provided by the Eifel limousines, cabrio-limousines, cabriolets and roadsters.

Also covered are the vans (Kraftwagens), the 'tug' (Zugmaschine) modification to the rear axle (3:1 ratio), 'producer gas' conversions and the trucks powered by the 5/34 PS Eifel engine.

In summary, Wolfram is to be congratulated on a comprehensive, erudite and definitive book on the Eifel marque.

The book (ISBN 978-3-941149-22-9) is available from the publisher;
Mönch, Langemarckstr, 53, 45141 Essen, Deutschland.
Website:- www.druckerei-moench.de email: print@druckerei-moench.de

The book may be ordered on-line by clicking on "Zum Bestellformular" at the bottom of the website page:- http://www.druckerei-moench.de/mmp_duester_eifel.html If you are really stuck, orders may be placed through me.

The price in the UK is approximately £22, including postage. The cost in Europe is £20 € plus postage.

Sam Roberts

Last edited by IFHP on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

The author of the book reviewed above, recently passed away.

Obituary – Wolfram Düster

It is with regret that we heard the news that Wolfram Düster died peacefully in hospital in Krefeld on February 18th, 2010 aged 87, having been born on April 24th, 1922. Wolfram was witness to the 1931 opening festivities of the Cologne-Niehl Ford plant as a nine year old boy sitting on the back seat of a Model A.

He gained his first driving licence in May 1939, his first car being a Ford Eifel limousine. Regrettably, his full enjoyment of the car was curtailed during World War II. Thilo Moerke, of the Cologne-based "Alt-Ford-Freunde" classic car club, who informed us of the sad news, tells us that Wolfram joined the club back in 1977. His favourite cars were the Ford Eifel, the V8 and the hunchback Taunus models.

Wolfram will be remembered as a true classic car enthusiast and was widely regarded as the world's Ford Eifel expert. After much coercing and offers of assistance, we were all delighted that he finally published his Eifel book last year. It would have been a tragedy if his in-depth knowledge of the marque had gone with him to the grave. “Ford Eifel Personen-kraftwagen, Baujahre 1935 – 1939” will be Wolfram’s lasting legacy to the old Ford movement.

The condolences of the members of the Ford Y&C Model register were sent to his son, Klaus, and his grandson, Hannes. In reply, Klaus said;-

“Thank you very much for your condolences on my father’s passing away. I accompanied him in his last hour and it was good to see him to die quiet and peaceful.

Thank you once more for all you did to put his book into practice - he was very proud about the results.

P.S. Until two weeks ago my father and I worked at digitising the Eifel-register for the last time. We finished the year 1936. I will try to round this work off.”

Written by Sam Roberts

PHOTOGRAPH:- “Wolfram Düster in his later years, in his Ford Eifel cabriolet.”
European Ford Collector