North American Consul, Zephyr & Zodiac Photo Gallery

Connecting Owners with Vehicle Registries
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Zodiackid wrote:When Brian Lees bought the Zodiac he had a concern that the two tone paint might not be original. The car predates me so I told him as long as I ever remembered the car it was always two tone. Plus it would be near impossible to fathom my Grandfather spending money to paint a car.

The reason I tracked down the posted picture was to offer some evidence (although not conclusive) that the paint was indeed original.
Tell us more if you can, this could be interesting?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Also note the bonnet/hood badge. They would either say Zephyr Six (one on the left and the other on the right) or Zephyr Zodiac, depending on the model However, if spot lights were ordered they were mounted higher on the bonnet, as this car has, in order to not mask the badges.
In fact, colloquially in the UK even MK2 Zodiacs were often referred to as Zephyr Zodiacs. I even saw George Harrison say that the Beatles were impressed by Brian Epstien because he drove a Zephyr Zodiac, and it would have been a MK 2.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I see what you mean by the height of the hood lettering, only the holes are remaining on the right side of the hood though as the zodiac script is missing.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Sad news that Bill Grant's 1962 Zephyr was destroyed in a windstorm in December 2015.

ImageFlattened Mk II Zephyr by Michael, on Flickr ImageFlattened Mk II Zephyr by Michael, on Flickr

BEFORE:

ImageMk II Ford Zephyr (1962) by Michael, on Flickr ImageMk II Ford Zephyr (1962) by Michael, on Flickr

ImageMk II Ford Zephyr (1962) by Michael, on Flickr
European Ford Collector
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

That is sad, I hope that there was some insurance on it??
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Very unfortunate.
Zodiackid

Post by Zodiackid »

I'll get some pictures of the Zodiac from my past up when Brian Lees owned it. One could not have asked for a better second owner.

Brian told me he was known in the classic car circles he ran in for his attention to detail and for his perfection in cleanliness. He bought the Zodiac thinking he had a project. I dropped by for a visit one day and he dropped a bombshell on me and said buying the car was a huge mistake. I was horrified! I thought he loved the vehicle! Then he continued and said that the car was in such great condition and so clean that there was really very little for him to do on it. Not the end of the world as far as I was concerned although he was a little bummed out over it.

One night there was an immaculate Jaguar in Brian's garage. I believe it was a Vander Plas. Showroom condition. Save for one crack in the dash it was mint. I stood and stared in awe. It was stunning. I briefly sat in the passenger seat when Brian opened the door and offered a look inside. Pristine as you would expect. Then he asked if I would like to see under the hood. I was not prepared for what came next. I stood there as he opened the hood and saw what looked like a car that had never been driven. How could an engine compartment packed so full of all things mechanical possibly be as clean as it was? That was Brian Lees at work. He started in one corner with a bottle of solvent and a toothbrush and stopped when it was clean. That was Brian at work. An absolute pro.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I'm glad that Brian was not one of hose people who restore a perfectly fine original car... just because they can.
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Here are some photos of the "LeMay" Mk II Zodiac that was part of the LeMay Museum collection in Tacoma, WA, but that I understand was recently sold off because it "didn't fit" with the rest of the collection. I think it was donated to the museum.

March 2016. LeMay maintenance shop

ImageFord Zodiac, LeMay Museum by Michael, on Flickr

ImageLeMay Museum Maintenance Bay by Michael, on Flickr

The car in 2010.

ImageFord Zodiac (1960) by Michael, on Flickr

ImageFord Zodiac (1960) by Michael, on Flickr
European Ford Collector
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Looks really nice, I wonder why it wouldn't fit it with the others?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I suspect this is code for "wasn't popular here."
European Ford Collector