North American Consul, Zephyr & Zodiac Photo Gallery

Connecting Owners with Vehicle Registries
IFHP
Site Admin

North American Consul, Zephyr & Zodiac Photo Gallery

Post by IFHP »

These photos were sent to me by Robbie Paramor. This is his 1961 Zodiac parred with the late Mike Frankovich's 1956 Lincoln. It's a great series of photos and shows one of the styling influances that went into the Mk II Zodiac.

When I first heard of this car, it was for sale in northern Alberta as a 20,000+ original miles car. At the time Patrick Wilson discribed it as "the best Zodiac in the world" In the early 2000s the car was sold to Brian Lees in Vancouver, then to a guy in Michigan and then a few years ago to Robbie in southern California. Robbie and Mike Frankovich were Mk II buddies, going on drives together. Must have been a fine sight.

Michael

IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

This would be the car that Gary is talking about. I took this picture in June 2003 when the car was for sale for CDN $2,000. It was in pretty nice shape. I have lost contact with the owner Ian Lalande, but he has a second Mk IV Zodiac as well that was in pieces. We ran a story on Ian's Zodiacs quite a few years ago. The runner is a 1968 model and was special ordered my the motoring journalist for the Toronto Globe & Mail (as I recall). Ian's second car is a 1966 model and appears to have started life as a evaluation car for Ford of Canada but was then sold to a private party who drove it back and forth from Ontario to California several times.

LHD Mk IV are pretty darn rare. These two cars might well have been the ONLY Mk IVs built to North American specifications.
Last edited by IFHP on Sat May 27, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
European Ford Collector
Zodiackid

Post by Zodiackid »

That car looks great with palm trees in the background.

Here's my grandparents with the vehicle. Picture is probably around early 70's.

EDIT - Please note the lack of palm trees in this photo! - EDIT

Last edited by Zodiackid on Tue May 17, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

it's in the UK now and has been for sale with a dealer for the last couple of years for £15000 (about$23000). I heard he doesn't really care if it sells as it drives showroom traffic.
the older i get,the faster i went...
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Nice photo Zodiackid. So this is the car that was in Northern Alberta in the late 1990's, then was sold to Brian Lees in Vancouver, and then I think went to the Detroit area, and then to Robbie P. in southern California. I lost track of the car after that sale, but I'm glad to hear it is its still in good condition.
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Here are some recent photos of a Mk I Ford Zephyr currently owned by Bill Grant of New Westminster, BC. I don't know the history of the car, but Bill has owned it for well over a decade. It's up for sale now, and I've posted an ad in the For Sale section.

ImageMk I Ford Zephyr by Michael, on Flickr

http://www.enfostuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2724
European Ford Collector
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I like the lines on these cars, it reminds me of one that I considered buying here in Vancouver over 10 years ago. I wonder if it is still around, here are some pictures of it.

Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Wow, I don't think that I ever knew about this car. Do you know if that tu-tone paint was original?
European Ford Collector
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I was led to believe that the car was as original and I thinks it's true, even the interior was the same two-tone. I can't recall what the asking price was but I remember being tempted. I came to the realization that I really didn't need another project on my hands. I have no idea where the vehicle went??
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Tu-Tone Mk I Zephyr is most unusual, might be a Canadian thing.
European Ford Collector
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I think it is because this Is the Zodiac version of the Zephyr, according to Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zephyr
Zephyr Zodiac (or Zodiac Mark I)
Overview
Production
1954–1956

Body style
4-door saloon
5-door estate (conversion)

Powertrain
Engine
2,262 cc (140 cu in) straight-6

Dimensions
Curb weight
2,680 lb (1,215 kg)
Model number EOTTA
The Zephyr Zodiac (or Zodiac Mark I) was an upmarket version of the Zephyr launched at the London Motor Show in autumn 1953. It had two-tone paintwork, leather trim, a heater, windscreen washers, whitewall tyres, and spot lights. The engine had a higher compression ratio – 7.5:1 instead of 6.8:1 – increasing the maximum power to 71 bhp (53 kW).[6]

A car tested by The Motor magazine in 1955 had a top speed of 80 mph (130 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 20.2 seconds. A fuel consumption of 22.2 miles per imperial gallon (12.7 L/100 km; 18.5 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £851 including taxes.[6]

There are no official records of Zephyr Zodiac convertibles being produced, but there were a few estate cars.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

All true Brett, but this actually is a unique Canadian spec 1954 Zephyr paint scheme.

Image1954 Ford Consul & Zephyr (Canada) by Michael, on Flickr

I had forgotten about this ad. This is the first actual photo I've ever seen of a Mk I zephyr with this scheme.
European Ford Collector
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Nice old ad, there is something to be learned every day. Maybe I should have bought that car it back in the day??
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Zodiackid

Post by Zodiackid »

When Brian Lees bought the Zodiac he had a concern that the two tone paint might not be original. The car predates me so I told him as long as I ever remembered the car it was always two tone. Plus it would be near impossible to fathom my Grandfather spending money to paint a car.

The reason I tracked down the posted picture was to offer some evidence (although not conclusive) that the paint was indeed original.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Glad that you took the time to do that. Thank you.
European Ford Collector