Lotus Cortina Sales

Personal memories from the time when these cars were new (or at least not as old as they are now).
IFHP
Site Admin

Lotus Cortina Sales

Post by IFHP »

Here is a story from EFONA member Eric Brunner which was originally posted on the Cortina-List.

Once, in the late 60's, when I phoned the Lotus dealer in Toronto, (Bill Brack's Sports Cars Unlimited) about getting some head bolts for my Mk I , there was a Lotus Rep there and he made the comment about only 250 being imported into North America. If 186 is true for the US, that would leave about 64 for sale in Canada. Sounds quite high for Canada relative to the US but perhaps the figure could be explained with more interest in Canada for high performance English Cars.

I live in the Kingston, Ontario area (across Lake Ontario from Syracuse) and the local Ford dealer sold 3 (including mine which was the last Lotus Cortina Ford of Canada had in inventory---got it in June of '66). Not sure if Ford of Canada still has records of how many they imported.

---Eric Brunner
garyeanderson

Re: Lotus Cortina Sales

Post by garyeanderson »

IFHP wrote:Here is a story from EFONA member Eric Brunner which was originally posted on the Cortina-List.

Once, in the late 60's, when I phoned the Lotus dealer in Toronto, (Bill Brack's Sports Cars Unlimited) about getting some head bolts for my Mk I , there was a Lotus Rep there and he made the comment about only 250 being imported into North America. If 186 is true for the US, that would leave about 64 for sale in Canada. Sounds quite high for Canada relative to the US but perhaps the figure could be explained with more interest in Canada for high performance English Cars.

I live in the Kingston, Ontario area (across Lake Ontario from Syracuse) and the local Ford dealer sold 3 (including mine which was the last Lotus Cortina Ford of Canada had in inventory---got it in June of '66). Not sure if Ford of Canada still has records of how many they imported.

---Eric Brunner
North America also includes Mexico and all the other Latin American countries as far south as Panama so some may have gone there too. I do not know any real numbers but this may be a possibility.