more Cortina stuff....

Personal memories from the time when these cars were new (or at least not as old as they are now).
Dave A

more Cortina stuff....

Post by Dave A »

The first long trek I made in a Cortina was in Jan 82 when I moved from Sussex N.B. to Edmonton Ab. (Canada) we went through heavy snowstorms in Ontario to minus 35 on the flat praries. Had lots of weight in the car with all my tools and everything i owned in there (which wasn't much) Two of us drove non stop and covered the 3000 miles in 3 days. Part of the reason for driving non-stop was that i didn't dare shut her off in those temperatures for fear of never getting her started...already knew how cranky she was back home at minus 20f. On the coldest night had the radiator totally blocked with cardboard just so the temp guage would read and could stay warm...side windows were totally frosted over. The next day afternoon sun warmed up to minus 28F cruising at about 70 (about a million revs) looked over and the temp guage was in the red...told buddy to pull over quickly, I yanked the cardboard out and told him to get her going...never seen a reading drop so quick! All in all it ended well but won't be stupid enough to do it again in the winter again unless i had to. This was the car and it was a good one. I bought it out of a field with only 33,000 miles on it for $350.00 I drove it for 10 years until it had 133,000 miles when it became the donor car for my next Cortina.Image
How it looked when I first bought it