EFONA / NAEFR SCRAP BOOK

EFONA Club Business and Thrift Shop

IFHP
Site Admin

EFONA / NAEFR SCRAP BOOK

Post by IFHP »

EFONA / NAEFR SCRAP BOOK

Long ago and far away (the fall of 1991, Pennsylvania), a English Ford collector and EnFo parts trader named Bob Pare mailed out invitations to all of his English Ford contacts inviting them to join a club. The name of the club was the North American English Ford Registry or NAEFR. In short order NAEFR had over 100 members and the first issue of The English Ford Lines was dated January 1992 (many charter members are still with us 17 years later). Bob ran the club for the first three years and turned it over to David Wiggins in Rhode Island in 1995. During the 1990s the club thrived, and an annual gathering was held at the Carlisle, PA, Import Nationals each May. Bob Pare organized the NAEFR event and invited all English Ford owners to his booth to share root beer, peanuts, and lies. The annual NAEFR photo would be taken at 2:00 PM on Saturday.

In 1998, Dave passed the torch to me and membership peaked at about 225 in the early 2000s. When I took over the club, I officially opened it up to German Fords (French ones too for that matter). I thoroughly enjoyed editing the E-Ford Lines (as it eventually became known as) but had to cut back by the end of 2005. I have kept my responsibilities as club Director, Treasurer, and Secretary, but handed off editorial duties to Ed Rossier in southern California in 2006 and then to Judy Berrian of Olympia, Washington in 2007. Back in the early days I spent a lot of time trying to maintain a North American European Ford Registry, this proved to be an interesting, but tedious and more or less thankless task and in 2005 I devolved the registry, model by model to individuals who showed some interest in keeping a registry for any given model of European Ford located in North America. Some of the registries have become components of larger global registries based in England and elsewhere. Here is a link to SOME info on these registries: http://www.enfostuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Following will be a collection of NAEFR and EFONA related photos and memorabilia. Enjoy.

Michael MacSems
EFONA Director
January 2009

The original NAEFR logo designed by Bob Pare in the 1990s.

The current EFONA logo designed by John Beresford in 2008.
Last edited by IFHP on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

NAEFR at Carlisle Annual Photos

1996: Who can name all of these people?

Writing in the July/August 1996 issue of the English Ford Lines, David Wiggins had the following discription of the day:

As the saying goes, timing is everything. About 20 minutes after the official photo session, banquet, and question and answer period the weather started to deteriorate in a big way. Those of us at the Big Yellow Pagoda Tent were able to watch the storm march across the fairgrounds scattering used Peugeot hub caps and Spitfire fenders like paper in the wind. The tent started to do the rumba, the likes of which I haven't seen since reruns of Charo on the Hollywoods Squares. Thanks to the quick thinking of member John Rohland, we were able to disassemble the tent in record time and leave it in a big, yellow heap on the ground and run for our cars just as the rain squall hit. And rain it did. The fairgrounds looked like the Mississippi River, and the parking lot exits looked like the approach to the Queen's Midtown Tunnel. No one was moving. Bob Pare rode out the storm in his Consul -- fogged windows and all -- until we cleared a seat in the back of the appliance so he could take advantage of the AC.

1997: In the May/June 1997 issue of the English Ford Lines, David Wiggins reported as follows:

Thanks to the loyal NAEFR members who braved the the threat of the notorious Pennsylvania May Monsoons and attended the Annual Meeting at Carlisle Import. Registry faithful in attendance included: Ken Doehring, Bill Poff, Al Taylor, Brian Dorothy, Jon Forwood, Scott Schisler (door prize winner), Tom Williams, John Mahey (NAEFR 1-year membership winner), Bob Pare, Jerry Hull, and Mike Snyder.

1998: Left to right: Patrick Wilson, Brian Dorothy, Mike Snyder, Jon Forwood, Richard Bedasie, Pete Nielsen, & Bob Pare.

1999: Left to right: Patrick Wilson, Bob Pare, Robert Moss, Pete Nielsen, Jon Forwood & Mike Snyder. The Consul is Bob's and the Cortina is Mike's.

2001: Left to right: Jon Forwood, Bob Pare and Pete Nielsen.

Bob's Consul & Pete's Anglia

Undated photo (2005?), who can date it or identify all of the members in the photo? I recognize Bob Pare, Patrick Wilson and Pete Nielsen.
IFHP
Site Admin

E Ford Lines

Post by IFHP »

Here are some covers of the E-Ford Lines (aka English Ford Lines) going back to the begining.

The very first newsletter, January 1992. Bob Pare was the first editor (1992-1994).

David Wiggins first cover, January 1995. David clean up the look of the newsletter and was a very entertaining writer. David edited from 1995 to 1997.

Michael MacSems' first issue, January 1998. Michael edited 1998 to 2005.

The newsletter got a new name and a new masthead on the occation of our 10th anniversary issue in January 2002.

My favorite cover was the Spring 2003 issue. We switched from bi-monthly to quarterly in the Summer of 2002.

Fall 2006 was our first color issue and was edited by Ed Rossier (2006-2007).

The Summer 2007 issue was our current editor Judy Berrian's first.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

A Bob Pare era NAEFR flyer.
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

Great pics and write up!
Thank you for sharing

-James
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Over the years NAEFR/EFONA has received a little bit of European press.

This article appeared in Classic Ford in 2000.

ImageImage

This is an article that I wrote for the German magazine Ford Scene International about the 2001 Pacific Northwest Import Ford Meet.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I've created an album on Flickr featuring photos from the old NAEFR/EFONA photo album that I used to take to car shows and some newer, but related stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ifhp97/al ... 2763067170
European Ford Collector
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Nice one, lots of familiar cars and faces in there. Thanks
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Thanks Michael! I think that I have all of those,
plus the earlier ones.
BTW - Is Bob Pare still around?
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I haven't heard from Bob since about 2010. If anybody hears news of him, please post it here.
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Brett Wilkie wrote:Nice one, lots of familiar cars and faces in there. Thanks
Thanks, I have plenty more to add.
European Ford Collector
angliagt

Re: EFONA / NAEFR SCRAP BOOK

Post by angliagt »

Bob Pare's still around.Talked to him a while back.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Doug, he must be in his 80's no?
Gary in AZ
the older i get,the faster i went...
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

That's probably right.Talked to him on the phone.