Spring 08 E-Ford Lines

EFONA Club Business and Thrift Shop

IFHP
Site Admin

Spring 08 E-Ford Lines

Post by IFHP »

The Spring '08 issue of the E-Ford Lines arrived from the printer on Thursday. I hope to have them in the mail by Thursday.

Michael
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

The Spring 2008 E-Ford Lines was mailed out today!

When I bought stamps on Monday, I just about went into shock (though I should have seen it coming). Last May (2007), the USPS changed their fee structure and as a result our newsletter changed from a 2- ounce “letter” to a 2-ounce “flat” (or packet). Cost wise, our domestic postage jumped from about $0.64 to about $0.97! This year the domestic postage only went up a modest $0.03 to $1.00, which is fine. However for 2008, the USPS changed our foreign classification from letter to flat. As a result, postage to Canada jumped from $1.00 to $1.46 and overseas jumped from $1.80 to $2.80! I realize that the USPS has to pay for gas and jet fuel just like everybody else, but my understanding is that this rate increase was set in motion well before the current petrol price spike. I wonder how much prices will jump next year. If I remember correctly, when I started publishing the E-Ford Lines back in 1998, the cost for domestic postage was about $0.37.

We also had an unexpected price jump at the printers this issue. Last issue we paid $286 for 225 copies (which was admittedly a super bargain), this issue we paid $436 for the same number of copies with notice that next issue will probably cost $500! Needless to say, we will be looking for an alternative printer – but who knows what we will find.

Thanks for listening.
Michael