Hello From MD

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
rarefish383

Hello From MD

Post by rarefish383 »

Hey, just found the site. I'm into cars, hunting and fishing, and thinking about retiring. What brought me here is my 58 Zodiac. I bought it in the early 70's with 14,000 miles on it. I drove it for a couple years getting the mileage up to 50K. Then a synchro went in the trans and I parked it. In 86 I traded it to my wife's uncle for a 57 Lyman boat. He had a friend in Wales and thought he could get parts for the car through him, it never panned out. He gave me the car back a couple years ago, and I brought it home a few months back. I'm looking for a 3 spd manual trans for it. I was actually thinking about putting a 330 De Soto hemi in it and turn it into a street rod. But, I stuck a battery in it, and after sitting for almost 25 years, the engine spins over fine. So, I think I'd like to leave it stock.

My real passion is mid 60's Mopar muscle cars, and my baby is a 68 Cuda convert. It's a Formula S 383, 4 spd. Chrysler only made 64 of theese, and there are only about a dozen of them known to exist, hence my username, rarefish383. I just sold my 66 Fury III convert so I have a couple bucks to put into my other cars. I think I could get the Zodiac back on the road pretty easy if I can find a trans. Anyway that's what I'm hoping, Joe.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Welcome, Joe

It would be easier to rebuilt the trans rather then locating another.
These are called " Dagenham " transmissions and were used in the early Mustangs. So parts are still available in the U.S. I've rebuilt a few and have all the part # for bearings, seals, syncro rings, etc.

Pete
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Unfortunately, I think over the years of my uncle trying to get parts from Wales, he lost a couple gears. I have the case, but haven't taken the time yet to open it up to check. When he gave the car back to me several years ago he said he thought he lost them. When I gave him the car the trans was apart and all of the pieces in a 5 gallon bucket. When I brought it home the trans was back together. I'll have to check, his memory was getting shakey. Are large parts like the gears available, or just the parts that wear out, like bearings and seals? The car is in storage at a friends garage, I might get down there in the next week or so. Thanks for the advice too, that's what I really need.

I didn't see how to post pictures so I'm gonna try a link to my photobucket. Thanks again, Joe.

peteleo

Post by peteleo »

I would would start by contacting the early Ford Mustang club first for gears and Zodiac Motors Service in England in case you need linkages.
Also, check ebay under Ford Zephyr / Zodiac.

By the photos, the car looks restorable. Does it have a black or red leather interior?

Pete
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

I actually saw a Dagenham trans from an early Mustang on ebay a couple weeks ago. The high bid the last I looked was 99 cents. Only problem, it was $125 to ship from Mich to MD.

The only rust is what you see on the hood, not a speck anywhere else.

The carpet was a light green color and the seats were a two tone light green and white, a rather odd color combo with a red and black exterior. My first job was working for a landscaper and one of his customers gave it to him, he kept it a few months and sold it to me for a hundred bucks. The customer was the original owner so the colors were factory original. I still have all of the sales papers that came with the car.

Here's some of the info off the bill of sale.

DESCRIPTION OF MOTOR VEHICLE
English Ford 4D 6 Cyl Red/Black 1958 serial # 206E 66325 Zodiac New Car

Price of Car $2381.00
Excise Tax 47.62
Inspection Fee 1.00
Certificate of title 1.00
Cash Sale Price 2445.62

It was sold on november 18, 1957 from Hill and Sanders Ford of Washington DC (Washingtons oldest Ford Dealer)

The car has been in dry storage for the past 25 years. The interior is shot, all cracked and dried out, with rodent nests (removed). The carpet is shot too and most if not all of the body seals are gone. I left it outside uncoverd for a few weeks, and of course, it poured rain. It filled up with water to the point I had to pop out the body plugs to drain it. The floors, trunk, and under hood are still shiny black with no rust. I'll get some more pics soon, Joe.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Just a little more info about me, my very first vehicle was a 1955 International Harvester one ton truck. I bought it when I was 15. No one new I bought it till the title came in the mail. My Dad said "I'm not expecting any thing from DMV". I jumped up and yelled "That's the title for my truck!" I've been buying cars ever since.

My first car was a 58 MGA Coupe, roll up windows, not side curtains. Sold it to by my 69 340 Dart. I'd like to have the MG and the Dart back, Oh Well, Joe.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

My personal unbiased opinion would be to stick that hemi in and sell it to me when you get bored! Just kidding! As others have said it should not be too hard to find parts for that box. In fact finding a complete used one shpuld not be too hard either. Good luck and welcome to the group. If you would like to see the ultimate set up for that 6 cylinder engine, go to the gallery of my MK1. Aluminum head, triple Webers, 6 branch exhaust...it's a monster.
Cheers
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
105epaul

Post by 105epaul »

That's a very solid and straight Zodiac you have there. I spoke to Kevin at Zodiac Motor Services here in the UK and he does have a LHD trans. His email is zms@btinternet.com

The reason for the green interior may be that the car was originally all black and the red was added later. Just a thought. It would be nice to put it back on the road.

Your Cuda sounds pretty nice and ultra rare too. I have a soft spot for Mopars even though I do own a 59 Chevy!

Paul
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Joe,

I like that color combo and I'm glad you are going going to keep it stock. Zodiacs are rare here, especially the pre-Feb '59 models which are known as the 'Highline' series. Please keep us posted.

Michael
European Ford Collector
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Thanks for the link to ZMS. I have the orginal purchase order from Nov, 18 1957 and it shows Tutone Red/Black. I'm gonna check a local upolstery (spelling) shop on a price for the interior. A friend has a paint shop so I think I'll let him talk me into repainting it myself, with his help. The mechanics I can handle. Are the front and rear windshield gaskets avaliable? I've got to stop the leaking and I'm sure that's where the majority of the water's getting in. I've got a good glass man comiong buy in a couple days to put a windshiel in my sons Buick. I'm jgonna see if he has time to run down and look at the Zodiac. I've got it stored about a half hours drive from home. Thanks again everyone, I'll keep updates coming, Joe.
105epaul

Post by 105epaul »

Here's a link to a company in New Zealand that lists the front and rear window rubbers/gaskets for your Zodiac:

http://www.restospares.co.nz/zephyr_zodiac.htm

I think there is a company here in the UK that may do them but I have heard that sometimes their quality is not the best. The Zephyrs and Zodiacs are quite popular in Australia and New Zealand where they sold very well and they have a good club scene supporting them. There is a Yahoo group for them too, I'll put up a link if you want.

Paul
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

And remember the glass from the February 1959 and up models (lowlines) is different than what you have.
European Ford Collector
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Gotta say thanks again, you guys are great. There's something about car folks, they just go out of their way to help others. Thanks, Joe.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

OOPS, need to make some corrections. It's funny how the old brain remembers things. I took some more pics this morning and the interior is not white and green. It's more like white and brown or beige. It was the carpet that was the funny green color. And all of these colors were factory original. The car only had 14,000 miles on it when I got it and it looked almost new.

The good news, I opened up the trans and it looks like every thing is in there. So, maybe all I'll need is to rebuild it.

Here's the pics I took this morning. If you look close in the engine compartment you can see the glass windshield washer bottle. I've always been amazed never got broken, Joe.

MG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/U ... /004-9.jpg[/IMG]
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Must have goofed on that one pic, Joe.