Who can relate to my 1950 Prefect?

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
Bob Greenlee

Who can relate to my 1950 Prefect?

Post by Bob Greenlee »

Hello, all -- such a pleasure to have found this site!
Here's my story: Nearly 40 years ago I purchased a 1950 Prefect from a couple in a nearby town, drove it to my home in Bend, Oregon, and parked it out back in the junipers.
I intended to do something with it. But life's priorities always seemed to interfer. Now, at long last, I'm becoming motivated. And I'm hoping to find one or more enthusiasts of this select group to offer some guidance.
First, I confess, this rig has sat out in the weather for way too long. The good news, though, is that our dry climate is kind to old iron. Also, long ago I secured a plywood panel atop, which has pretty much shed the rain and snow we do get. In short, my little Prefect is in surprisingly good shape still -- complete, intact, and ready to be reincarcinated.
I'd appreciate some tips on best techniques for bringing it back to life. And equally useful, I'd truly like to learn what you think a current value for this "sleeping beauty" might be.
I'll eagerly await your input. Thanks!

Bob Greenlee
Owner of 1950 Ford Prefect (complete but "out of service" for the past 40 years). Seeking connections with fellow 1938-52 E93A owners.
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Hi Bob.

It's good to hear from another Prefect owner. I have a somewhat unusual '48 E93A since 1962 that is finally undergoing a proper restoration. You can see its story and some photos at the url in my signature. What is your condition? I have found several sources for parts and supplies and will be happy to share. Do you have some photos? BTW, if I remember right, yours would be an E493A.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
Bob Greenlee

Reply to Bayless

Post by Bob Greenlee »

Bayless --
Thanks for your response to my story (first and only, so far), and the report on your '48 Prefect project. I'm impressed by that restoration, and hope to accomplish something similar -- although I plan to stay as "stock" as possible, considering that everything on my '50 is still complete and original.
Assisting in that are two references I've managed to acquire at swap meets over the years. One is an original Prefect owner's manual (printed Feb., 1950, 92 pp) which covers in exquisite detail most all aspects of operation. The other is a little handbook titled "The Cassell Book of the Ford 'Prefect', 1938-53", by Ellison Hawks (136 pp). It was first published in 1948, and my eighth edition came out in 1962. It is an even more thorough guide. If either might be helpful to you, maybe I can do some photocopying.
As best I can tell, your rig seems to have right-hand drive (and maybe was intended for sale in Australia). Mine is left-hand, clearly adapted for import to the US. No photos are yet available -- but come spring I'll see about towing it into a less obstructed area (I'm a confessed collector, and lots of stuff has gathered 'round it in the past 40 years).
Interestingly, I see your wife drives a '74 VW. So do I -- a '74 bus, purchased new, and outfitted at that time with a camper interior (rear seat opens into a bed). It's been the most useful, practical vehicle I've ever owned, and is still in regular service.
I'm so pleased to hear from you, and hope we'll be able to share more Prefect insights.

Regards,
Bob
Owner of 1950 Ford Prefect (complete but "out of service" for the past 40 years). Seeking connections with fellow 1938-52 E93A owners.
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

My Prefect is left hand drive and was originally built for USA market. The extended boot is the mystery. There was an article in the FSOC newsletter a few years ago speculating that it might have been a prototype for the Australian version but it is clearly an English build. Also several years ago a purchased several books, including an original owners manual, from a bloke in New Zealand.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Bob,

Welcome to EnFoStuff. It sounds like your Prefect story may have a happy ending. I wish the best with the restoration.

Michael
European Ford Collector