1958 Anglia 101E brakes

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
usborn

1958 Anglia 101E brakes

Post by usborn »

:D Hi, I an new to this forum and can use some help. I just got a 1958 101E. It has not seen the light of day since 1976. It has no rust anywhere, even in the gas tank, except a little behind the gas tank. I have not started it yet, I want to flush the motor first.
It need everything to do with brakes. What I don't understand is why somebody installed a second master cylinder and then connected then together. It looks like it was done by a pro. I am going to leave the second one off and go back to just one. Does anybody know why someone would do this?
Does anybody know if there is any other brakes I can put on the car? I would like to go to something with more affordable parts and one that are self adjusting. Maybe disk.
Any help would be great , Thanks Charlie
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Are you saying the car now has 3 master cylinders? It came with 2 side-by-side. One is for the brakes and the other is for the clutch. These two should never be connected together, however.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
usborn

58 anglia master cylinder

Post by usborn »

:o Hi. the car still has a master cylinder for the clutch , someone just put in a second master cylinder for the brakes. A total of three cylinders side by side on the fire wall. One for clutch and two for the brakes. The two for the brakes are joined together by a tube in the front of the cylinders. The work under the dash looks factory. What does not look right is the studs holding the third cylinder to the wall, it is a little larger then the other two. Rather then leaving then separate they were made to work like one. If you lost one you would loses the other, because they were joined.
So like I said, why they did what they did is a mystery to me. I am going to leave the one off and cover the hole.
Thanks Charlie
DonG

Anglia

Post by DonG »

I would love to see a picture of the car. I have a 1959. If you look under members pictures you will see it.
Over the Rainbow you will find an Anglia!
usborn

1958 Anglia 101E

Post by usborn »

:D I will post some photos as soon I can . I am still working on finding all the brake parts for the right price. I also need a top door hinge for the pass. side. I would like to change both top and bottom at the same time. I got lucky all the side molding is in great shape, and the hub caps are dent free, just need new chrome.
Thanks Charlie
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

That's really strange Charlie. I don't even have a guess as to why but I think you have the right idea in changing it back to original.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect