New old guy from Vancouver

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Popped the engine mounts off the S2000 motor - thing of beauty that they are - because all we will need is a flat plate to which we will weld the new mounts.

Dropped them off at a local shop, expecting a quote for $50 - 60 based on past work at other shops and was given a quote next day for $300!

I didn't ask if that was each of for the pair, I was too busy laughing when I picked them up.

I'm going to buy a welder and we will do them ourselves.
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

I'm confused - if you already have nice a MKI GT,
why do you need/want another one?

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Sideways wrote:Popped the engine mounts off the S2000 motor - thing of beauty that they are - because all we will need is a flat plate to which we will weld the new mounts.

Dropped them off at a local shop, expecting a quote for $50 - 60 based on past work at other shops and was given a quote next day for $300!

I didn't ask if that was each of for the pair, I was too busy laughing when I picked them up.

Buying a welder is with out a doubt the best choice to make, especially if you see other uses for it. I bought a Lincoln 180 MIG Welder on gas a few years ago when it was on special at "Crappy Tire" The 180 is 220V but it works great, when my garage was built I installed and a dedicated plug for the welder. I am quite sure that this thing has easily paid for itself especially when I see quotes like yours.
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/058 ... eviews.htm
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

angliagt wrote:I'm confused - if you already have nice a MKI GT,
why do you need/want another one?

- Doug
"...the same week I found that Prefect, the Cortina I had been hunting for came up so I kept both for a while then sold the Prefect..."

I'm not looking for another one.

Not yet anyway.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Brett Wilkie wrote:
Sideways wrote:Popped the engine mounts off the S2000 motor - thing of beauty that they are - because all we will need is a flat plate to which we will weld the new mounts.

Buying a welder is with out a doubt the best choice to make, especially if you see other uses for it. I bought a Lincoln 180 MIG Welder on gas a few years ago when it was on special at "Crappy Tire" The 180 is 220V but it works great, when my garage was built I installed and a dedicated plug for the welder. I am quite sure that this thing has easily paid for itself especially when I see quotes like yours.
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/058 ... eviews.htm
Picked up a Millermatic 211, not cheap but we can use it in the shop and it is an autoset so the guys who actually know how to weld properly (I did some 50 years ago but that is now just a distant memory) love it.

I have questions on both the brakes and suspension for this car - which I will post those in the Technical Section - I need a better rear axle, discs and suspension and better bigger fronts. I will probably go to 16" wheels as long as they look 'right' - not too low profile which should help with squeezing all the bits in the right places.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Fast forward, did get to the ABFM where the car was well received, I contacted Fred and he loved what I had done to the car - he was a bit nervous about how the car would turn out - me too! - but was delighted with the result.

Still a bit of finishing to underhood, inside, centre console to be fabricated and then carpeting to cover all.

Then I will move on to the front suspension and steering which are a little inadequate for the car as it now sits.

This it at the ABFM

Then a little paint underhood...

Image[/img]