All About Me (Michael)

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I know that I tend to disappear for months at a time, but I do appreciate that EnFoStuff.com exist and I always encourage people who contact me about EFONA to join this forum.

Here is a picture from the last time I had the Zodiac out and the second to the last time I had the Cortina out.

EnFos On My Street by IFHP97, on Flickr
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I am planning not to renew my Photobucket membership this year, which means that by the end of March tons of photos that I posted in EnFoStuff's early years will disappear. Some I can replace with pictures from my Flickr account (which I like much better than Photobucket), but some stuff will no doubt be lost forever.

Sorry.

Michael
European Ford Collector
61zep

Post by 61zep »

IFHP wrote:Shelton Old Car Show 6/29/08:

A couple of weeks ago I took the Zodiac up to Shelton, WA for their annual old car show. Judy Berrian (E-Ford Lines editor) and her husband Kevin followed me in ther two-stroke Saab station wagon. On site we meet up with EFONA member Mark Christinsen who had brought a 1960 Zephyr and a 1961 Studebaker. The weather was great and there were a lot of interesting (non-street rod) cars to look at. Here are a couple of photos.

Mark's Zephyr. This Zephyr was once mine (three owners ago) and it was nice to see it in as good, or better, condition than when I owned it.

Michael
I am now the owner of the Zephyr. It is still in Shelton albeit a bit worse for the wear. Jim Ford
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Jim -- we will have to meet. Glad to know some thing of this car's fate.
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

My" beautiful" Euro Ford hulk collection needs to be removed from its current location by June. No room at home, what to do?

My Hulk Collection by IFHP97, on Flickr
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Hulks are moving on...

1961 Ford Zephyr by IFHP97, on Flickr

This one when to Jim in Shelton

1961 Taunus 17M by IFHP97, on Flickr

This one my father-in-law agrredd to store at his place.

Parts Car by IFHP97, on Flickr

David from Vancouver came down to collect some parts off of this one. I'll salvage the glass before it is hauled off to be recylcled.
Last edited by IFHP on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
European Ford Collector
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

Thanks again for the parts Michael. Im in the midst of finding a new place to keep them. Most of them I managed to get into the house, much to my mother's annoyance. You wouldnt happen to still have the key to the trunklock would you? I seem to have misplaced my cars original
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Status update from me. Still not spending much time with my old cars, but this weekend was an exception. On Saturday my friend Kevin and I opened the hood on the Zodiac (now in its 15th month of being off the road), to see about installing some parts that I bought this summer from EnFord Spares in NZ. Didn't manage to get the car started (probably needs a new coil), but I did notice that the brakes had failed since the last time I looked in on the car. At first I was pretty discouraged by the revelation. But then I though about the fact that I bought the car in 2000, and have never touched the brake system, let alone bleed them, and I 'm thinking "it time".

ImageBrake Fluid on the Floor by IFHP97, on Flickr

ImageParts Order from EnFord Spares by IFHP97, on Flickr

On Sunday I took the Mk III Cortina out for a run (longer than the usual trip around my neighborhood). Leaving a gas station I noticed that the brake pedal was hard and the car was reluctant to move forward. I tried to coax it to my father-in-laws place about a mile down the road, but the car stopped before I got there.

Its seems that the problem was either a poorly adjusted rear brake, or a bad wheel bearing on the front right. At any rate, I'm now hunting down a set of front bearings, which will probably be a big improvement.

ImageMy 1972 Ford Cortina L by IFHP97, on Flickr

ImageRight Front Wheel Bearing, Mk III Cortina by IFHP97, on Flickr
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

ImageFocus & Friends 8/08 by Michael, on Flickr

I'm thinking that I need to lighten my load. I think that I am ready to pass the P3 Taunus and the Corsair along to new (good) homes. Actually the the P3 and the Corsair make an interesting pair as they are closely matched on paper, yet represent different approaches to the same market by two national arms of the same company.
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Almost every Fall my friend Kevin comes over and we roll the Corsair and the 17m around, make sure the engines still turn over etc.

ImageFord Corsair and Taunus 17M by Michael, on Flickr

ImageFord Taunus and Corsair by Michael, on Flickr

This year we opened the trunks for the first time in a longtime. I had forgotten about all the parts that came with the 17m.

ImageP3 Taunus by Michael, on Flickr

I noticed the envelope from Ford Werke in Cologne addressed to the original owner.

ImageP3 Taunus by Michael, on Flickr

It made me wonder more about the history of this car and the time when I saw it being driven down 1st Ave in Seattle in 1979. So I did a search for Helga and found out that she is alive and well and still living near Seattle. After a few rounds of phone-tag we finally got to chat. It was so nice to talk to her and hear her memories of the car. I had meant to do this back in 2004 when I acquired the car, but never got around to it. I am grateful that I hadn't waited too long. Helga was happy to hear that the car (which she owned from 1961 to 1997 - last licensed in 1984) still existed. I told her that her family could have the car back if they wanted, but she politely declined.
European Ford Collector
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Hey Michael,

Interesting story. I've had similar experiences with some of the EnFos i acquired thru the years. It's like doing a genealogy research. I've made friends with a few of the families that bought the car new.
Pete
105epaul

Post by 105epaul »

Nice story, I bet Helga was pleased to know that the Taunus survives. I haven't seen one of those here in the UK for many years although I have seen a 1970 Taunus 20M Coupe at a show, sold here new. By coincidence yesterday I received my latest model car from Atlas Editions, these are reproductions of Dinky Toys. And this one is a copy of the French Dinky German 'Polizei' Taunus 17M in white and green. Very nice it is too.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

One less Taunus in the world.

My father-in-law was storing this 1961 1500 17M parts car for me. At some point he called to tell me I needed to move it. I hemmed and hawed because I really didn't have anyplace to store it -- and then I forgot about it. I was out at his place recently and I went to look for it... gone, I assume to the crusher. In a way he did me a favor because, it would have been too hard for me to do that myself, there was no place for that car.
European Ford Collector