Hullo 100E owners from Toledo (WF)

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
IFHP
Site Admin

Hullo 100E owners from Toledo (WF)

Post by IFHP »

I just joined this list. Have a 1957 Anglia 101e which I have owned since early 1970's. Used it as a daily driver until about 1980 and have been gathering bits and bobs to put it back to rights in the next few years. I am the third owner. First was a retired High School Teacher named Florence, so it has been Florence Ford ever since. She bought it after retirement and drove it to Arizona to visit relatives. They insisted it be shipped back by truck as they did not think it a long distance car. Next a Grad Student in Chemistry named Max Diem, then myself. It was one of 17 100e's sold by the Brondes Ford dealership in Toledo, Ohio and they were a non ending scourge if service problems and no more were ordered.

The problem was replacement parts not fitting. It was assembled just before the improvements of Sept. 1957 and definitely is a small screen 3 bar grille car. The problem is it was titled as a 1958, which designates the large windscreen and all the different parts including brakes and tail lamp housings and lenses. I have found a number of other "1958" 100e line cars in north America to actually be 1957, as far as parts and service go. If it claims to be 1958 and it has 3 bar grille from the works it is really a 1957 for parts. Ford made model announcement change but was already using a block of post change numbers for North American export, My guess is a good part of a ship load of Anglia, Prefect and Thames models. I do not know if other models were similarily bodged by bad parts ID.

I have workshop manual, parts list and other literature. I am willing to scan or let you copy needed pages if you are working on 100e based models. I advise strongly against Yank Tank engine swops, after all you loose the performance, sound effects and driving experience of the side valve.

The three speed transmission (Low, Lower and Lowest) is a wonder to drive and all my brothers and sisters learned to drive manual transmission in this car.

I have a number of parts going spare for 1958 onward 100e. Including grille, rear lamps with new lenses and a few other goodies. Also a spare 105e "Anglia" boot script to swop for 100e block boot badge. If passing through Toledo Ohio, I will recieve visitors by appointment and am located very close to I-75 exit 203A Northbound. Car is rough project but hoping to get it into garage when another car is back together. Ready to brew up anytime (with proper British electricity) . Let me know if you want a cuppa. WF

(originally posted August 4, 2007)
Last edited by IFHP on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IFHP
Site Admin

100E Owners

Post by IFHP »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great car, and hopefully your insight will prevent problems for another 1957/1958 Anglia owner.

I could use a new 105E Anglia boot emblem, I broke the very end of mine off during restoration. I'll keep an eye out for a 100E emblem to swap with you.

-James

(originally posted August 5, 2007)
JAN

Post by JAN »

The large rear screen cars - with all the mods - came in October 1957 starting around Engine (Chassis) No 4433499 Anglia) and 449408 (Prefect). Some changes (e.g. slimmer bumpers) came in earlier and, as always, there could be some left-overs from previous models. The small screen/three bar grille does identify your car as a pre-facelift though.

A lot of parts will go from early to late examples without bother - and Fords no doubt did it at the time. This would be particularly so for the US market; no doubt the car was a long time between leaving the factory and driving out of the showroom.

I wish yuo well with the car. Remember that I'm around for Technical Asdvice if needed - ask and I shall do my best!