New member in Jacksonville, Fl

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
joepettyjr

New member in Jacksonville, Fl

Post by joepettyjr »

Greetings all and good to see all the old Ford models!
I am a Lotus guy and use the 116E engine and semi-close ration gearbox in my 1962 Super 7
Always looking for a project and just plain enjoy looking!
Regards, Joe
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Welcome. Joe. The 116E engine is a Cosworth version of the 120E, i believe.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I believe it was just the 1500 cc version of the Kent engine. But my memory ain't what it was, so Ilooked it up. I think I am right but also Cosworth, and others, did use that block as a basis for further mods.

Ford launched the “116eâ€￾, 1500cc version in 1962 complete with 5 main bearings and a slightly taller engine block. The bore remained unchanged at 81mm as well as the bore centers along with many of the other aspects of the engine allowing many of the components to interchange throughout the years. Lotus went on to develop a twin cam head for the 116e resulting in the ubiquitous Lotus Twin Cam that had a production run from 1962 through the mid 1970’s. The twin cam is used in rally, circuit and formula car racing to this day. Cosworth was also busy developing a wide range of engines based one the 105e and 116e for use in everything from Formula Junior to Formula 2. Cosworth found the limitations of the Ford cylinder head for Formula 2 and developed a completely new cylinder head with an overhead cam configuration, called the “SCAâ€￾.
the older i get,the faster i went...
joepettyjr

Post by joepettyjr »

Actually...

I picked this car up 2 years ago and set about reassembling it from the collection of parts the owner had accumulated over 23 years.

Since it was strictly a racer '62-'71, the original 109E (the 20 minute motor) was long gone and in the baskets were parts from at least 4 Kent engines along with a complete x-flow engine, 2 transmissions...

I found enough to piece together the 116E engine which seems to be the favorite among the pre x-flow choices - good power, but not so much it breaks something else!

The only Cosworth piece left is the valve cover, but that's fine since this is a street car and at ~1000 lbs and inches from the ground it's all the thrill I need!

Happy Motoring - Joe