New UK member

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
janus55

New UK member

Post by janus55 »

Hi Guys so I was kindly introduced to the forum by Pete Snyder I live in London. I currently own 2 MK3 Zodiacs a 64 Ermine white car and a 65 Executive in Alcuda blue, I have owned other classic Fords as well. I brought a couple of parts from Pete for another car I have agreed to buy. So I`ll tell you about this one 1st, as I have placed a wanted add for parts I need for it. So my Greek wife and I, plan to move to the Greek Island of Kefalonia in about 6yrs. I was thinking of buying a LHD Nash Metropolitan convertible from your side of the pond and shipping it over. But what popped up before I looked to hard, a 1958 H/L Zephyr convertible and in LHD form just what I wanted. I have owned a few MK2`s before, a 61 convertible being one of them. I hadn`t really given much thought to a LHD MK2 convertible, as there aren`t that many around. But this ticked all the boxes its white with a power hood and O/D G/box cosmetically/mechanically restored with some room to improve. One thing it needs for life on the Island is a disc brake set up, its quite mountainous out there and without one in the heat and brake fade I`d be off a cliff! So collecting the parts has been hard work, the last time I had a MK2 the convertible was 20+yrs ago, and parts are a lot thinner on the ground now. However there was no internet so having that has made it easier to connect with people like yourselves which was unthinkable 20yrs ago. The parts for the disc set up have so far come from 7 people, and I still need a few small bits to finish it to factory spec. I have also been able to find the correct radio and dash plate, but I`m missing the mounting bracket for it. A lovely find was the accessory hub cap medallions for it, I found a NOS set on ebay in the USA so it is all out there!!
Anyway Keep safe everyone All the best from London Simon
angliagt

Re: New UK member

Post by angliagt »

WELCOME!
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Welcome Simon. As ever some pics of your stable would be quite welcome.
Gary in AZ
the older i get,the faster i went...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Hi Simon,

Glad to see you made it in. Has Doug forwarded the info regarding the guy selling Zephyr parts in Danville, Virginia.

Pete
janus55

Post by janus55 »

Hello My friend
No he hasn`t yet been able to however I have been contacted by a knowledgeable member, who has informed me that the disc model was never imported into North America. But you had the 2 pipe brake clamp for me and that only goes on the disc model, so why would it be out there? Anyway we shall see if anything turns up! thank you for introducing me. keep well Pete Kind regards Simon
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

It may be that the MK2 weren't officially imported with disc brakes, even as late as '62, to N. America. However, it is possible that some models did have discs by way of purchasing later rebuilt struts including discs from i.e NewFord parts and attaching available Girling P14 or P16 calipers.
We were considering doing that in '85 when my dad owned the Zephyr but decided to just leave it with drums as the stopping distance was about the same. Discs have the advantage of not fading with continuous stop & go. I did end up with miscellaneous discs parts for the MK2 at one time in a box of EnFo parts.
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Welcome Simon.

I'm a Kiwi living in Northern California (just up the road from Pete) and I have a collection of Cortina's. 64 Mk1 Estate, 68 Mk2 GT, 70 MK2 GT and a couple of projects, 68 Mk2 Estate and 68 Mk2 Super with a Mazda Miata power plant.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your cars.

Brent