Hello from Scituate, Massachusetts - Gary E. Anderson

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
garyeanderson

Hello from Scituate, Massachusetts - Gary E. Anderson

Post by garyeanderson »

Hi Folks
I signed up yesterday and I see quite a few names that I recognize. Good to have a forum where photos and ideas can be exchanged.
I am a Cortina person, I got my first in May 1978 a few months after my Lotus Elan went for a swim in the Atlantic Ocean after a storm surge raised the height of high tide some 6 or 7 feet on top of a astronomically high tide. One of my friends lost a VW bug the same day and he had no use for it so I made a deal to trade the Bug for a 65 Cortina Estate that was at the end of a dead end street and it blocked the way onto the beach. The Lotus Twin Cam found its way into the engine compartment shortly there after and I had it terrorizing the locals most of that Summer. Being in New England most EnFo's didn't last too long and I found a few that were only good enough to part out. Several years ago I found another on ebay in Maryland and it had some nice bits. Once home, it again was only good enough for parts. In 2003 I got back from vacation and read about a Lotus Cortina for sale in Maryland, this had been hit in front and put away, the steel was in great shape except where it was bent. I called or emailed the seller and was on my way to pick it up a month later. Well, the sickness continues, I have bought another 4 since and one was sold to a friend of mine. At the moment there are 3 mk1 Cortina GT's and the LoCort, none of them run but I have a hope that a couple will make it back on the road someday.

here are a few photos of some of them

This GT is from Tennessee and made a detour to Webster N.Y., this on has a chance still but the top side was killed by sitting in a grove of trees that with the help of acid rain did a number on it.

This Gt is out of Connecticut and looks O.K. from 30 feet but is probably a
doner for one of the others.

I picked this one up last summer from Mike Haynes in California and there isn't much wrong with it that a couple of donors won't fix.

Lotus Cortina BA74FT59332 in need of a lot more effort and cash
Last edited by garyeanderson on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

Welcome to the forum, Looks like a great collection, and alot of work!

-James
IFHP
Site Admin

welcome

Post by IFHP »

Gary,

Welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing you progress in future updates. That Mk I looks kind of funny with the early Falcon taillights.

Michael
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Gary,

Glad to see that you made it to the "other"site!
Looking at the pictures makes me feel that we're sometimes
spoiled here on the West Coast.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
garyeanderson

Post by garyeanderson »

Hi Michael
I kind of like the look of those 60-61 Falcon taillamps, I don't like the fact that they cut the steel panels to make them Fit, so I guess they will stay and I'll (or someone else) will need some new lenses.

Hi James
I hope to get one or two done, but I guess I'm not in a big hurry, the weather is starting to break and it will soon be Lotus season in New England.

Hi Doug

West coast cars are so unbelievable, I've seen 3 year old local cars that have more rot than 1960's Datsuns from out your way, its just a fact of life here. I guess the only good thing I can think of that makes New England any good at all is there are a lot of cars that are good for parts. Of the 8 or so Cortina's that have passed through my hands, only half came with the engines and only one actually ran and drove (after the brakes were done). There used to be a bunch of Cortina's (mostly mk2's) out here when I had the mk1 Cortina Estate but I haven't seen one on the road in 20 years, I'm not sure if that shouldn't be closer to 30 years. Rare indeed out this way.
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

Looks like a lot of potential there Gary. Your not all that far away from me here in New Brunswick, Canada. I'm about an hour and a half from Calais, Me
garyeanderson

Post by garyeanderson »

Dave A wrote:Looks like a lot of potential there Gary. Your not all that far away from me here in New Brunswick, Canada. I'm about an hour and a half from Calais, Me
Hi Dave
I guess thats not far as east coast Cortina owners go. Mapquest says its six and a half hours or 358 miles to Calais, Maine. It sounds like more than a day trip for either of us. Stop by if you get down this way, my address is

67 Kent St.
Scituate, Ma. 02066
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

I'll be sure to let you if I'm headed down that way Gary. I would love to see the collection.