Hello from central MO

A place for new (and old) members to introduce themselves.
jhumason

Hello from central MO

Post by jhumason »

Hi folks! I am joining because I may need to consult with folks here for historical info for various projects I have coming up. I am a freelance automotive writer with a number of connections to "English Fords". (I also operate a pie & coffee shop in a small town in Missouri because "freelance automotive writer" can't always pay the rent. ;) )

My first connection to these cars was through my family. My dad and his dad operated car dealerships in Warren, OH in the 1950s when I was a toddler. The longest-running of these was Humason Motors, which had an "English Ford" franchise alongside its Packard, Studebaker, and Mercedes (imported by Studebaker) lines. I don't have much memories of that time, and both dad and grandpa are gone, so I would like some help from this group when I find the time to write the family's history of that time.

My next connection came much later, in the mid-80s. I had become involved in SCCA road racing, eventually participating in nearly every capacity in the organization over 20 years: driving, wrenching, event organization, etc. As part of that time, I was the crew chief for Team Blitz for the 1986 and 1987 seasons when we raced a 2.0L 1973 Mercury Capri to the ITB Regional Championship in Central Division. The owner and driver of Team Blitz, Norm Murdock, still sells Capri parts out of Central Ohio under the Team Blitz name.

I also worked as a mechanic, crew chief and sometimes driver for Continental Motorsport (from 1985 through 1994), an import and prep shop for Ford-powered formula cars. Our cars raced in Formula Ford using the Kent 1600cc engine and in Formula Continental (Formula Ford 2000 rules) using the same 2.0L OHC engine as the Capri. We won the FC Regional Championship in Central Division in 1989 with a Crossle 68F/Ford.

My most recent connection was the Merkur Scorpio I bought in 1992. Not technically an "English" Ford, but I see that Merkur enthusiasts seem to be welcomed here. It was a great car, but it suffered a catastrophic failure before I was even done paying it off! I'll tell that sad story here one day.

So hello! Any questions?
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Hi J.

Welcome. Thanks for all the background -- I enjoy hearing these stories. I'm a bit of a Ford historian, so I would be happy to help you in your free lance writing with historical info.

Michael