3.54 Cwp

Langlia

3.54 Cwp

Post by Langlia » Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 pm

Anyone have one laying around for an English axle? Good condition?

mark

Re: 3.54 Cwp

Post by mark » Wed May 06, 2020 1:53 pm

I have been looking for one too....still have not committed to buying new from overseas just yet.

Sideways

Post by Sideways » Wed May 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Langlia wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 pm
Have you tried Ian Wood at IWE?

Langlia

Post by Langlia » Wed May 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Sideways wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:16 pm
Langlia wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 pm
Have you tried Ian Wood at IWE?
I have not but I did think about taking it there to have it swapped. Maybe I should call him and find out..

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie » Thu May 07, 2020 12:16 am

I would be curious to know what it costs to overhaul and replace ring and pinion.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock

mark

Post by mark » Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 am

Brett, took my diff with new bearings, crush sleeve, and seal to a local shop. They assembled it for $125 USD.

Langlia, If you contact IWE, let us know price and availability of the ring and pinion. It would be interesting to know the labor price, but I can have the labor done locally again. If he has them or can get them, it would be nice to know if they are made by a reputable company or Chinese knock-offs. keep us posted please

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie » Thu May 07, 2020 8:05 pm

mark wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 am
Brett, took my diff with new bearings, crush sleeve, and seal to a local shop. They assembled it for $125 USD.

Langlia, If you contact IWE, let us know price and availability of the ring and pinion. It would be interesting to know the labor price, but I can have the labor done locally again. If he has them or can get them, it would be nice to know if they are made by a reputable company or Chinese knock-offs. keep us posted please
Thanks, that is a good bench mark price. I would do the job myself but I haven't done a differential rebuild since I retired from the dealer where we had all the appropriate tools for the job. I was considering doing a 4.44:1 for my Anglia but that really takes long highway trips out of my plans, I will have to do some time behind the wheel with the 4.1 or 3.9 to see how the car feels.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock

mark

Post by mark » Fri May 08, 2020 6:47 am

Brett, I have mentioned before, I have the overdrive tranny behind a 2.3 motor, 4.1 rear, 13" tires and it is still revving too high for my likes...even on the 2 lane back roads.
You are quite experienced in these matters....but if it helps.....I went from the 100E axle (I think 4.4) to the 1015E axle 4.1...it was hardly noticeable...about 3-4 mph difference at a given rpm...then I went to the OD...and it added another 3-4 mph difference...unfortunately still not enough for me to use the interstate highway.
The donor Pinto, in which the motor came from, had about a 3.2 rear and the 13" wheels that I am now running. The donor Pinto did not have OD ... and since I now have OD, I think the 3.54 might be best for my driving conditions here in the south. Not trying to drive faster, just want to reduce the RPMs. It's a little bit of a gamble how it will turn out....And you are right, some seat time is the only way to really confirm how it feels.
I imagine you want a little performance being a former racer? I assume you have a 1600 engine which may like the higher revs?

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie » Fri May 08, 2020 10:50 am

Hi Mark, I have played around over the years with different ratios all on 13 inch rims, the highest ratio I ever had was a 3.7 in my Lotus Cortina and that felt just fine for a long highway trip but the twin cam loves to rev. When I had my old 1600GT in a 105e I frequently swapped the 3.9 and 4.1 and you are right, there isn't a lot in it. I used to drive a 2 litre Mk2 Cortina and I did notice that it seemed less happy at highway speeds than the crossflow pulling the exact same revs. The gearbox that I am using in my modified 100e Anglia is the 4 speed 2000e box but with the Quaife internals, the first gear is very high at 2.25:1 so I will see how that works with the light 100e body and the 4.1 to start with. I may be able to go to 3.9 later if the car is not too hard to get under way the high 1st gear. Here is a chart showing the relative speed to revs with my setup.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock

Langlia

Post by Langlia » Sat May 09, 2020 4:50 pm

I sent an email to IWE to see if they stock the 3.54 by any chance and the labour cost involved. Hopefully hear back next week.

Any chance you can swap the 1.0 4th gear out for an overdrive ratio instead?

In a couple years the Anglia will get gutted I imagine and Zetec/Duratec swapped with a 5 speed but until then this is it :)

mark

Post by mark » Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 am

Langlia...I looked at IWE website and it looks like they are the experts.
I had previously set mine up (myself) with new ring gear bearings....betting I could get by using the existing pinion bearings. Unfortunately, the pinion bearings were bad too. I was a little intimidated pressing on and off the one pinion bearing and setting its height with shims....so a phone call to my driveshaft shop led me to a four wheel drive customizing shop. I took the parts and photocopies of the assembly tolerances to them and they put it all back together by the next day.
On your 4th gear swap-out question...the one gearset in the tranny is all one piece...correct? ..you cannot change the individual gears?
If IWE can get the cwp, it would be nice to know if it is made by a reputable manufacturer and not a Chinese copy.

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie » Sun May 10, 2020 11:27 am

Don't forget that on that gearbox 4th is not a gear, is just direct drive with the input shaft connected to the output shaft.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock

Langlia

Post by Langlia » Sun May 10, 2020 1:44 pm

mark wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 am
Langlia...I looked at IWE website and it looks like they are the experts.
I had previously set mine up (myself) with new ring gear bearings....betting I could get by using the existing pinion bearings. Unfortunately, the pinion bearings were bad too. I was a little intimidated pressing on and off the one pinion bearing and setting its height with shims....so a phone call to my driveshaft shop led me to a four wheel drive customizing shop. I took the parts and photocopies of the assembly tolerances to them and they put it all back together by the next day.
On your 4th gear swap-out question...the one gearset in the tranny is all one piece...correct? ..you cannot change the individual gears?
If IWE can get the cwp, it would be nice to know if it is made by a reputable manufacturer and not a Chinese copy.
I'll be sure to ask about the origin of the materials. Quality issues aside, I'm even more conscious now about where my money goes and who it supports. If it's not US/Canadian/English/European it's not going into my car.

Brett, I'm not the gearbox expert by any means, 4th gear being a direct drive is something new that I learned today :) I can install them. Maybe one day I will tackle a gearbox rebuild. Always interested in new things.

Something to be said about keeping the Anglia simple, this is why I've gone to a single carburettor, still have the 4 speed. 3.54 or a 3.31 would be ideal to take advantage of the extra power of the crossflow, car has been raised back up about an inch for extra exhaust clearances. My wife wants a Nova which will be a fun project one day, that will get a proper hot rod treatment.

Ordered some more sound deadener (Noico 315 Mil) going to go up the firewall and under the dash and part of the floor. It's a 20 sqft box. Just trying to make it more enjoyable around the 3000 rpm mark. Even thought about finding a cast xflow manifold to cut down on the tinny noise of the header. Not overly concerned about a few horsepower but creating a nicer driving experience over stock. The Anglia has been a great learning tool and even though I talk about throwing a new motor and a 5 speed in it would almost be a shame.

Will talk to Ian and see what can be done, if I can get a decently quiet cruise on the highway at 90kmhr I would be happy with that :)