‘68 GT on San Diego Craigslist

Brett Wilkie

Re: ‘68 GT on San Diego Craigslist

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I like the high dash models, same dash as my 67 Lotus Cortina but my console did not have a clock in it.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
cyirush

Post by cyirush »

Brett Wilkie wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:18 am I like the high dash models, same dash as my 67 Lotus Cortina but my console did not have a clock in it.
Agree, really like the high dash.

Very cool you have a MkII Lotus Cortina. Was it a Canadian car originally?

Think the clock came in with the 1600E and the GT getting the c-flow in August (?) ‘67.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

cyirush wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:04 pm
Brett Wilkie wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:18 am I like the high dash models, same dash as my 67 Lotus Cortina but my console did not have a clock in it.
Agree, really like the high dash.

Very cool you have a MkII Lotus Cortina. Was it a Canadian car originally?

Think the clock came in with the 1600E and the GT getting the c-flow in August (?) ‘67.
I am pretty sure the car was originally sold in Canada? It was an early 1967 Mk2 that I bought in1973 when it was traded in at the car lot where I was working. It is an odd story but the woman who traded it in on a used Maverick Grabber had recently inherited the Cortina but had no idea of what the car was, the salesman that did the deal also had zero knowledge of English cars let alone a Lotus Cortina. I saw the car when she was driving it on the lot and it wasn't running great as well as smoking but I knew what the car was so I asked if I could buy it after the trade was done. The salesman asked me why I wanted a 6 year old, shitty running Cortina that was burning oil but agreed and sold it to me for three hundred Dollars.
I got the car home and it was visibly using oil so I rebuilt the engine and while I did the engine job I discovered why it was running so weird, the inlet and exhaust cam sprockets were mixed up. The two sprockets have the timing marks in different positions so they had been driving it with the cam timing out. I kept and abused/auto crossed that car until the engine let go 11 years later in 1974 so I sold it for $900, I thought I was doing well, getting three times what I paid for it, I should never have sold it but you know what they say about hindsight?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
cyirush

Post by cyirush »

Trading a Lo Cort for a Maverick - not something that would happen today!

Oh for a time machine. Or a crystal ball back then.