Cortina MK1 Estate

Post by peteleo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 am

Apparently bought 2 weeks ago for $12K.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/c ... 36132.html

1970 cortina GT

Re: Cortina MK1 Estate

Post by 1970 cortina GT » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 pm

That's quite the mark up...
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:39 pm

Yes that did sell for 12K Did the guy gold plate it or something, how is it possible that the price doubled?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock

zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:52 pm

"bought another car so need the space" yeah, right...
Gary in AZ
the older i get,the faster i went...

peteleo

Post by peteleo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:12 pm

Someone mentioned that a 75 year old Mercedes enthusiast bought it to re-live his youth for at least 2 weeks.

zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Pete that is confirmed to me by a fellow enthusiast. The guy daid he was an old guy and he always wanted one. I actually don't mind flippers because they do take a risk but this kind of sleaziness grates.
Gary in AZ

peteleo

Post by peteleo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Gary,

I've experienced that before when we sold my son's EnFo to a guy that always wanted one and sold it a short time later for a profit.
Don't mind the fact that when a new owner enjoys driving it for a year or two and then decides to sell it, he should expect a bit of a profit.
Shouldn't be labeled as a flipper.

zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 pm

I do myself. I have a twin cam Morris Minor convertible that I will never sell and then a" guest" car, or two, that I drive for 2 years or so and then move it on. Hopefully, at a small profit to keep the missus happy. As I have said before, most car guys biggest fear is that after he dies, his wife will sell his cars for what he told her he paid for them.
Gary in AZ

angliagt

Post by angliagt » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:35 pm

A little profit is one thing,but that's just crazy! Can you say "greedy"?
I've also never figured out why people only own these wagons for a short time.
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"

Sideways

Post by Sideways » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 pm

angliagt wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:35 pm
A little profit is one thing,but that's just crazy! Can you say "greedy"?
I've also never figured out why people only own these wagons for a short time.
Agreed, having worked my way through a variety of Mk1's, basic, GTs and LCs I am now ready to lay hands on a wagon (Mk1 of course).

I was set to buy a 'roller' a while back but family medical issues got in the way but now I am once again ready to go down that bumpy road...a Mk1 wagon plus a crashed Tesla Model 3... :D

CaptLuck

Post by CaptLuck » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:06 am

Wow, that just riles me up. I was the 2nd responder to the ad in Phoenix (that’s certainly adding to the red I’m seeing now.) Phoenix seller was polite and courteous, seemed a decent fella, said he had 5 interested parties within 24hrs and was going to go in order. He kindly informed me the next day the first responder had taken it. Ah well, win some, loose some.
I had hoped it would’ve been a retirement gift for my father, who is actually in Arizona. He raced around in Mk1 and Mk2 Cortinas (as well as an Elan, multiple Alfas, etc.) back in his footloose days. The wagon would’ve made a fun hauler now that he’d be toting a few grandkids along, and I admittedly had hopes of it becoming a family heirloom along with my Anglia for generations to come.
And now, its being listed 2 weeks later for 2-Dr GT money by an azz who can’t even be bothered with using capitalization or grammar and comes off as a jerk in the ad. Ugh.
I’m certainly hoping the car karma gods deal out a healthy dose on this one!
Maybe I’ll call and offer him: “the same $12k he paid for it in Phoenix two weeks ago if he’s willing to bring it back to AZ. I’ll even be fair and cover the gas money to bring it back.” Think he’d take it? 😎
Cheers to all the honorable car folks out there!

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:42 pm

CaptLuck wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:06 am
Wow, that just riles me up. I was the 2nd responder to the ad in Phoenix (that’s certainly adding to the red I’m seeing now.) Phoenix seller was polite and courteous, seemed a decent fella, said he had 5 interested parties within 24hrs and was going to go in order. He kindly informed me the next day the first responder had taken it. Ah well, win some, loose some.
I had hoped it would’ve been a retirement gift for my father, who is actually in Arizona. He raced around in Mk1 and Mk2 Cortinas (as well as an Elan, multiple Alfas, etc.) back in his footloose days. The wagon would’ve made a fun hauler now that he’d be toting a few grandkids along, and I admittedly had hopes of it becoming a family heirloom along with my Anglia for generations to come.
And now, its being listed 2 weeks later for 2-Dr GT money by an azz who can’t even be bothered with using capitalization or grammar and comes off as a jerk in the ad. Ugh.
I’m certainly hoping the car karma gods deal out a healthy dose on this one!
Maybe I’ll call and offer him: “the same $12k he paid for it in Phoenix two weeks ago if he’s willing to bring it back to AZ. I’ll even be fair and cover the gas money to bring it back.” Think he’d take it? 😎
Cheers to all the honorable car folks out there!
I agree, I am also leery that when someone wants to move it on so quickly that there might be something not right about the car?? Saying that he doesn't have room is B.S. I bet, why did he bother buy it in the first place?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock

Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:00 am

Looks like he may have put a $12k polish job on hence the price hike. Is a nice car and probably getting close to a 20k price range as we saw what the 1 in Florida went for a year or so ago. I love driving the wagon, so many comments an thumps up when I have mine out.

zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Ad has been taken down so presumably it sold.

Gary in AZ

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:46 am

It's getting attention even when it's not for sale.
https://bringatrailer.com/2021/03/16/su ... 2021-03-17
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock