The madness continues...

For posting photos and information about your cars
Sideways

Re: The madness continues...

Post by Sideways »

angliagt wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:00 pm Looks like a Taurus SHO engine to me.
It is indeed a Gen1/2 SHO engine, just one of the ones I considered for the Mk1 GT...heavy bugger but beautiful looking.

PS that is NOT the SHO engine in there, I just plopped the intake on top of the Fiat motor to see how it would look. :D
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Cleaned up a little...
cleanup.jpg
cleanup.jpg (185.4 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Had a glance at some of the books.
DSC00004.JPG
DSC00004.JPG (196.22 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Doors cleaned up nicely, just a quick wipe with Windex and a cloth...the usual Cortina rust is noticeably absent!
DSC00006.JPG
DSC00006.JPG (206.71 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Have found a source for various 4 cylinder Ford engines from bare blocks to fully assembled, to built, even a FF engine.

Oh, he also has a BUILT 1702cc TwinCam, all the right bits, steel crank etc flowed head with a pair of 45s hanging on it - but I refuse to even ask the cost of that one! :D

Would look a little like the attached.
1702.jpg
1702.jpg (198.49 KiB) Viewed 30 times
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

It is somewhat tempting but I feel you can get more power and reliability from a newer lump. Plus it will never be a real twink. Even 40 years ago I chose a well built crossflow over a twin cam and got just as much power without the hassle.
Gary in AZ
the older i get,the faster i went...
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

zephyrgary wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:47 pm It is somewhat tempting but I feel you can get more power and reliability from a newer lump. Plus it will never be a real twink. Even 40 years ago I chose a well built crossflow over a twin cam and got just as much power without the hassle.
Gary in AZ
I know...back in the day I picked Twin Cam engines up for a few quid and a couple of beers, back in the "old country"

People were literally taking the Twin Cams out of their Mk1 Lotus Cortinas in order to install a pre-crossflow engine.

Gas (petrol) prices back then played a big part but back then, most still didn't "understand" what Mk1 Lotus Cortinas were - the price of a GT compared easily with the Lotus version...and more importantly, what the Lotus Cortina would become as the decades rumbled on.

Newer lumps have great appeal but as I (dis)gracefully age, I tend not to welly the loud pedal and will not need this as a daily driver so going back to the roots may work well for me. It breaks? Fine, tow it home, fix and repeat. :D

Until it does NOT work for me at which time - the gloves are off!!
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Agreed. I have Hagerty on my Minor and XJ6 and that comes with free towing, so no worries. Also back in the day in the old country Webers had a terrible rep for not staying in tune. My MK1 Zephyr had triple Webers and I did not need to touch them in 7 years of ownership, so I wonder if that fear was over rated or we know more now.
Gary in AZ
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

zephyrgary wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:03 pm Agreed. I have Hagerty on my Minor and XJ6 and that comes with free towing, so no worries. Also back in the day in the old country Webers had a terrible rep for not staying in tune. My MK1 Zephyr had triple Webers and I did not need to touch them in 7 years of ownership, so I wonder if that fear was over rated or we know more now.
Gary in AZ
Definitely overrated, mostly driven by the inability of so many to know how to select the proper tubes and jets and other twiddly bits for Webers.

I once helped someone tune their Jag with triple Webers...took us quite some time and I was in the RAF at that time.

Some 4 years later, we bump into each other, literally in transit, me coming back from Europe, him heading to some godforsaken island in the Indian Ocean and we got to to talking.

He still had the car, he still drove the car almost daily and it was still in tune.

That said, I like Dellortos even more. :D
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I loved my Zephyr. At idle, it sounded like two Harley Davidsons. Potato, potato and it went like a rocket too. Not so much off the line, it had a steep first gear, but once you were rolling, gobs of torque.
Gary in AZ