anglia

For posting photos and information about your cars
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

You could get a hair more Neg Camber by using 100e track control arms as they are even a bit longer than the Mk2 as you can see in the picture.
I bought some top mounts out of the U.K. that place the strut tops inward and back, you can see the contrast in the pics. these are Mk2 struts with 100e control arms on stock mount then special mount.
I find that the Mk2 strut has a lot of built in Pos Camber that has to be corrected for but it gives you more strut to rim clearance in the end.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
cortinalodi

Post by cortinalodi »

The engine is starting to come togetherImage
cortinalodi

It's alive!

Post by cortinalodi »

Wish I could post the video, 2" exhaust dumps drivers side just in front of rear tires......sounds wicked!!! Now finish plumbing the brakes tighten everything up and I think its good to go!
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

The rods look nice and it seems you have a later, wide lobe cam too? Try put a video on YouTube and post a link here if you can.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
cortinalodi

I think it's ready

Post by cortinalodi »

I THINK THIS BEAST IS READY! The 8" good years make it look pretty mean!
Looking at the orginal post I relised I have been playing with this for four years! Time flys when your having fun.
cortinalodi

Mike drouin anglia

Post by cortinalodi »

Ran great. I was surprised how much rear axle hop it had, with the heim jointed Milton engineering lower trail arms on the rear end.
Running Avon tires they are very soft and sticky.
I'm going to switch to a lesson dog box with a 2.25 1st gear, it was running out of 2nd and it is Long way from 2/3
Need to spend a little time with carbs had to keep them idled up did not want to idle down(died). Pretty sure no vacuum leak, once on course it accelerated great even from closed throttle.
Very drivable, cornered flat rotated well with a little throttleImage
Last edited by cortinalodi on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

What method did you use to lower the back of the car?? When I had my 105e it had quit bad axle tramp when I used lowering blocks, the blocks just moved the axle further away from the spring allowing it more leverage to more easily wind the spring up. I did find later that adding an extra leaf and de-arching the spring to lower it instead of the block that a lot of the tramp went away.
Regarding your gearbox I am keen to hear your feedback on the gear ratios,
I will be using a Quaife filled 2000e box with these ratios--2.25 / 1.495 / 1.168 / 1:1 --I have not got the car roadworthy yet so I am curious as to what the drivability will be like with the higher first gear??
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
cortinalodi

Rear axle

Post by cortinalodi »

You nailed that!
I was not sure on the springs the mounting bracket is so close on the top I thought a lower block would be better. Less chance of spring bottom out. I have a couple set of de ached (flat) springs I guess I will swap them out. Do you remember how many leafs you ran?

I have a quaife box in the mk2 race car, it is going to be a pain for you city driving and pretty tough on the clutch. I run a 4:11 in it and a tilton clutch. Idling through the pits is no fun.

Thank, always nice when someone else has already solved my problems!
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I do not recall how many leafs in the original spring as it was back in the late 70s when I did this. I do know that I originally had the stock Anglia 1200 rear suspension with modified/stiff shocks and 2 inch lowering blocks and it loved to hop coming out of the start box and elsewhere. After I installed the flatter springs with a full length extra leaf it was far more under control.
Regarding the transmission I was thinking that my 100e Anglia might be in a similar weight class as your 105e and lighter than a Mk2 Cortina, I will be using a 1660 x/flow and a 4.11 axle so it should be close to your 105e? I have been playing around with on line gearing calculators to get some idea of what it might be like but they obviously can't tell me the seat of the pants experience. I want to use the Quaife box but if its going to be a total pain I will use one of my stock 2000e boxes. Here is a useful calculator, it also gives you a bit of a visual if that's useful to anyone. http://www.cargister.com/calculator-gear-ratio
Here is an example of my cars specs and figures.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
cortinalodi

Avons are working very good

Post by cortinalodi »

I'm using a soft Avon tire, designed for midget racing. I think they are working better than any tire I have ever used to auto-x. The alignment looks good and all four tires look about the same so I guess the spring rate, sway bar set up is good. I was surprised how neutral it right out of the box, figured it would take a lot more tuning. I hope flipping the spring a loosing the blocks can be dealt with by shock adjustment!Image
cortinalodi

Opps, not the way I panned

Post by cortinalodi »

Well this was a big surprise.
Car was sideways, I was waiting patiently for it to straighten out went over a bump which caused suspension to bottom out and over it went.
No injuries except car does not have a straight panel on it, great roll cage!
Having a cage put in new body, then plan on switching power train out.
Even after one complete roll the car still ran great!ImageImage
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Oh shit, at least you are okay, sounds like a similar ride to mine. It only took the edge of a runway slab to trip mine.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

:(
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Michael, was that this weekend? I thought I saw your name on the side of a Lotus open wheeler at Dixon over the weekend.
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Ouch! I guess I'll have to come & haul it off-
(no charge).Thanks for the magazines.

Here's Mike's Lotus 61......Image
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"