Cortina Mk3 2000 L

For posting photos and information about your cars
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

Its been awhile since I last updated. Mt goal for the car is to have it painted by the end of april, because my Ranger is too much of a pig on gas to keep on the road.

The engine needs a headgasket, and at the same time Im gonna do the valve seals. I got some of the kind with the metal base that sits under the valve spring. Then its gonna need plugs cause are 4 are fouled.

Finished the disc brake conversion on the rear. I ended up re-plumbing the brake system from the rear axle back. Originally it went from the axle into the drivers wheel cylinder, then from that to the passenger wheel cylinder. I only had 2 flex hoses for the rear calipers, and 3 would have been really cluttered, so I added a T fitting and went from there. I have yet to redesign my caliper brackets. My prototypes allow gear oil to leak past the axle flange, not good.

Bodywork is almost done, mostly just needs sanding on the front + rear valences and the roof. Then its time for primer.

I plan to stiffen up the suspension to try and save my tires in corners. The front ARB has a broken end link, Im stuck between adding a rear ARB or stiffer shocks/springs

Thats all for now, sorry no pics. Cheers!
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Thanks for the update.
European Ford Collector
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

Well, not too long ago now I went down to see Michael and grab some parts from his silver 2 door. Had the car been more solid I would have found a way to bring it home with me. But it still helped me with alot of good parts, thank you again Michael :)

I took this photo mainly for reference, if I find a place that does reproductions I need a new sticker

I had been wondering how I was going to get the hood off as the cable was broken. I ended up crawling underneath and reaching up to the release. It was already unbolted from the hinges

The interior, appears to have held some squirells at some point :D

I was suprised when this was in the trunk
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

A couple parts are going to make their way onto the car. Already I have stuck the steering wheel on

I re did the bezels in the center guage cluster as well. The faces themselves were in good condition
(an old one next to one I painted)

I will be putting the GT guage cluster in as well. I tested the clock and was suprised to see it still works! The clock face is in good condition, as it the tachometer face. I have a line on a new face for the speedometer and I have to cut out some plexi for the clutser as well.

Worst case scenario I re use the 110mph speedometer from my L cluster, but I would like to keep that one together if I can
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

So I know its been awhile, a lot has been done to the car since my last post (Well, not really) But it was sent off to paint as of October the 31st, and the only thing Ive heard since is that it was done but not quite ready to go outside as of November 6th. This is the last time I saw it

This is the colour. I shined up the backside of the gas tank door cause it was the only bit of original paint left, they scanned teh colour with a fancy machine and they matched it to a colour that Kia used in 2000 only. The original colour was Evergreen metallic

And for re assembly Im not sure how to go. on the bootlid Im definetly doing the black GT style stripe on the part between the tail lights. I have the chrome trim from the bootlid I got from Michael's silver 2 door, the top strip came off nicely and shined up nicely but the bottom piece broke in half as soon as I touched it. I also painted the Grille I got from the silver car to mock a Canadian spec GT grille, I dont know which one to use

IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Nice to see your progress on this.
European Ford Collector