Cortina Mk3 2000 L

For posting photos and information about your cars
canadianmk3

Cortina Mk3 2000 L

Post by canadianmk3 »

Heres my Cortina as of when I got it:

Heres a recent photo of how it sits now:

The rot was minimal on it. The drivers side rear wheel arch, drivers side inner/outer rear half of sill, drivers side bottom half of quarter panel, bottom half of rear valence, passenger side outer sill, and the piece the drivers side front fender attaches to.

Right now I only have yet to make the drivers rear wheel arch, then its body work, paint, and re assembly. It starts and runs like a top, but needs valve seals. Has 7735 miles on the clock, but Im guessing it rolled once.

Vid of it starting and running:

Heres the commonly updated build thread on BUysellcortina:

http://www.buysellcortina.co.uk/forums/ ... mk3-build/

Thats it! Cheers guys!
Last edited by canadianmk3 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reggie

very

Post by reggie »

very nice looking cortina there.. I always like those but cant seem to find them here in the u>S

reggie
"god made Adam & Eve for a reason"
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

Thanks!
Bit of an update, Yesterday I cut the last bit of rust on it, the drivers rear wheel arch, outer and inner. I finished making my repair pieces and Im welding them in next Saturday. Then its just bodywork before it goes into paint. I see an end!
Ale06

Post by Ale06 »

David, I´m sure your Corty will look great after restoration.
Have you pictures of inside? I mean, trim and dashboard.
Cheers.
Eternal life King Taunus!!
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

Yeep

:D
Ale06

Post by Ale06 »

Cool mate. I like the all black trim.
It is very similar than my Taunus TC1. :D
Our Taunus were powered with the 2.0/2.3 Lima engines (Mustang, Bronco, Fairmonts, Capri, Merkur XR4 etc.)
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

I might be going the 2.0 zetec route with this. We'll see...
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

Well, this weekend I got a bit done.

I stripped the trunklid down to bare metal, it was built up to 1/8th inch thick. Now it sits level with the tops of the quarter panels. Played around wwith the carb mixture, got it fairly close. and I did some sanding. Picked up an air block sander at a garage sale, what a lifesaver!

Last edited by canadianmk3 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Thanks for the progress reports. I'm impressed. The interior looks so clean that I wonder the actual milage might be what is on the odometer.
European Ford Collector
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

I would have thought so too, and I did untill I looked at the sale papers. It had 106,000 mi on it in 1989, shortly before it was parked
Ale06

Post by Ale06 »

I remember very well this kind of work. I did it with my TC1 and P3...
Ufff, it was hard. Good luck mate, I want to see your Corty in all his splendor. :D
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

I did a bit of work last week. Wanted to do more but my truck (1993 Ranger) wounded me so I took a couple days away from the shop

I moved it outside to work on my truck. It was dead from me trying to start it with no gas the weekend before. So I got it started to let it idle and charge, and it starts idling lower, lower dead. All I could get it to do was start and run for a couple seconds. It has 3 fuel filters on it so I thought maybe one was plugged. Nope. Thought maybe the pickup tube in the tank was plugged. Nope. Cleaned the points. Nope. So I pushed it insode at the end of the day and left it. It was acting like it was out of gas so I thought maybe a gallon wasnt enough to get it running after going dry.

Came back the next day, turned the key for laughs, and it fired right up. And ran half decent.
I dont know what the point gap is for this thing, but I set it to .023 in and it starts way nicer (No choke needed now), doesnt rev as nicely though.

Did some masking. I dont have money for new front+rear glass seals, so they are staying in. For a clean job I am sliding one edge of the tape under the seal. They make tape with a solid edge for this, but Im cheap and use a screwdriver to slide the tape under.

Yes I know it should be painted where I have the tape on the doors, but we arent doing the jams or anything. The paint under the tape is fine, a close match to the new color, and is under some trim anyway. I dont have the confidence to remove the windows without breaking them so they are also staying in. I will be using parchment paper to mask them off, as it doesnt throw off little lint pieces.

Went through my boxes of stuff that will hopefully go back on someday. HAd to pick my 2 best reverse lenses. One is near perfect just dirty, one is cracked and another is missing the mounting part but you cant see that behind the bezel. Picked my 2 best bezels too, one is also perfect amd my other choice needed straightening and polishing with some steel wool. The other 2 will be kept as *Better than nothing* spares. This must mean I have a 4th lens somewhere.

Cleaned up sorta nice

Same with the marker lights

Didnt touch my corner lights because the lenses are not at all in nice condition, and I dont have any spares. If I manage to find a cheap set in half decent condition, I would change them. But my current ones are better than nothing

Found a bit more rot in the front valence, where it meets the frame rail

And made the last little patch for the drivers side wheel arch. Its burned in right now but I have to re-do the lead job that was above it (factory I assume)

And some filler work on my sill repair piece I made for the drivers side

Thats all I have to report, if blocksanding wasnt such a turn off it would probably be ready for primer already
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

And I have some XL spec upper door seals for the windows in the mail. They are chrome with a rubber/felt strip. Should look nice
Ale06

Post by Ale06 »

Nice to see the pregress! A lot of effort I can see. Go ahead! :D
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

Bit of a teaser...
I body worked and epoxy sealer primed the trunk, its kinda hard to see but one of the lines is mishapen from the filler, sticks out like a sore thumb to me! :lol: