Jim Norman's 107E Prefect

For posting photos and information about your cars
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Thanks for posting Jim.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Looks like a great collection of old Fords and the weather looks like it was cooperating too?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

The weather was brilliant, Brett: warm, bright sunshine but a gentle breeze to keep the temperature at a comfortable level.

The standard of the cars was generally high, with the modifications well done and effective. There were no serious mechanical issues through the day; in fact, such excitements have always been rare on these Tours. The Prefect did 278 miles on the day, including the 85 or so miles between Wigan and the start point at Appleby. Not a record, but in view the quality of the roads used, not bad going.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Anytime you come home smiling from a long day like that you are doing well, when you mention the back roads that is one of the things I found to be a bit intimidating when we were touring that area.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Looks like a series of fun events and the photography is excellent. Thank you for sharing.
European Ford Collector
JAN

Post by JAN »

Yours truly and the Prefect on the move!

Photo by Neil McCarty, www.105speed.com
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

"Prefection"
European Ford Collector
JAN

Post by JAN »

Did the Lakes Tour again yesterday; excellent as ever despite sometimes very wet weather. Huge thanks to Dick and Chantelle for organising it, and it was great to meet up with my mates again, even if only once a year!
Anglia:

Prefect:

[url=https://servimg.com/view/16142381/878]Image

Others:

And…!

JAN

Post by JAN »

After thirteen years' hard use and over 170,000 miles, BLC is need of a major restoration. SFO has been bought to use in the meantime.

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Nice, looks like a very solid little car. What extent of work is needed on BLC, it too looks excellent in the previous photos?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

I wish it was, Brett! The most work is to the strut tops both sides, but also the LH front chassis leg is poor, the first time I've come across this on a 100E/107E. The car had been in a bad frontal collision in either 1990 or 1995 and the legs still had ripples in them; I suspect that's where the corrosion started.

It will also have three doors and the RH front wing replaced; I already have these.

Unfortunately, I have now passed the stage where such work is possible. I know of a restoration place in Wigan so will be paying them a visit in the new Year.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

The sills/rockers look a bit dodgy. Good luck and keep us posted.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
JAN

Post by JAN »

The sills / rocker panels - call them what you will - have been replaced; it just isn't a very good job, especially on the right hand side. It's generally solid but with a few patches welded in here and there.

The big surprise came when I went to Bridgnorth last week, 192 miles round trip. The seller said the engine was a 997cc unit, but it obviously went far too well for that, almost as well as BLC with its slightly tuned 1198cc unit. I measured the stroke by the screwdriver-down-the-plug-hole method and found it was a 1342cc unit!
JAN

Re: Jim Norman's 107E Prefect

Post by JAN »

A lot of cosmetic work and various upgrades have been done to SFO, the biggest being to change the 997 carburettor for that from a 1198 engine, and the car now runs so much better. The non-working fog / spot lamps have been exchanged for the correct type, properly wired up.

JAN

Re: Jim Norman's 107E Prefect

Post by JAN »

A major restoration for BLC, and here freshly back from the paint shop.

Still a lot of trim to do, but here she is.