'66 Anglia

For posting photos and information about your cars
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

The car is coming along nicely, I wish that I had mine at the painting stage. I am curious, it looks like you are using copper for your brake lines?? Is that an approved type of line here in Canada? When I used to do vehicle inspections copper lines were a failing point??
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

It's a copper nickel brake tube
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

What stage is your car at right now? I think my next car I'll take in for a paint job. Too tedious, at least now I can say that I can do it.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Langlia wrote:What stage is your car at right now? I think my next car I'll take in for a paint job. Too tedious, at least now I can say that I can do it.
My three 100e cars have been put on hold since last December. I sold my house in Vancouver and have been concentrating on the move and building a garage here on the Sunshine Coast, I had to rent back my Vancouver garage for six months to allow me time to build the new garage here. I drove my stock Anglia here but had to flat deck the other two, that was a bunch of bucks for that job. Here they are in their old home and new.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Looking good.

I saw your car at Van Dusen, you were not to be seen otherwise I would have said hi.

Thinking about getting a lift into your new garage?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Langlia wrote:Looking good.

I saw your car at Van Dusen, you were not to be seen otherwise I would have said hi.

Thinking about getting a lift into your new garage?
VanDusen was good but you are correct about my absence, I was out and about in the field for most of the event as there were a lot of friends to visit.
Regarding the garage, I very briefly thought about a lift but could not justify having it for the amount of time I might use it, My wife wanted to keep a low profile on the building height and I wanted to fully insulate the garage so that too would limit severely how high you could put a car to the point of being not possible.
I did though last week finally get my compressor wired in, I was waiting for the electrician for a while there.
The garage has only an 8 foot ceiling but it is well lit and heated so it will allow me to hopefully make progress on my car over the Winter.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Fair enough, I remember buying a plasma cutter, used it a few times.. just one of those things eh.

I remember seeing something about a portable lift. Runs off your compressor, you have the mounts on the ground, and you just wheel them over when and if you need to use it. Enough to get it off the ground. I don't like putting my stuff up very high unless I know it's never gonna fall..

Compressor looks very nice, is your house already built?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

You gotta have a few tool/toys, the compressor will be useful for me though as I still have some air driven hand tools left from my working days. I bought this one as it has over 10CFM flow rate and that would work well if I ever decide to try painting?
I am only building the garage, I have had two houses here on the Sunshine Coast since 2001, one has always been my Coast residence and the other a revenue generator. When I sold my Vancouver house I had to put a garage in up here to replace the "Man Cave" I lost in the Vancouver sale.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Sounds like you're set!

Painting would be a breeze with that compressor,

I would suggest a high power exhaust fan, I could only spray for a few minutes before my "booth" was so hazy I couldn't see straight.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

It is tempting to try painting but it would mean a fair bit of work creating a booth in the garage, maybe one day but for now it would be easier to just take it to a local paint shop. The Anglia is actually driveable even though it doesn't have glass, fenders, lights or doors so I could sneak/drive it the 2 Km to the paint shop.
The other thing I find is that body shops don't seem to like painting these older cars, one would not even consider it until I told him it was basically stripped of all trim and glass.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

I'm sure you could drive it there haha. Gibson's is more laid back then uptight lower mainland I imagine. How many cops in town?

Weird they do it like that eh, I would think business is business.. what's a paint job cost?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

There is an RCMP Detachment very nearby the street that I have to use to get there so the odds are fair of coming across one but I suppose I could tow it that short distance.
He wouldn’t give me a quote for a paint job until he actually looks at the car, he did say though that to do a full repaint on something like a Honda Civic could cost 5 Grand or more, it’s all about time spent. The shop I was talking to is in the process of changing hands and he doesn’t have a full staff yet so would not be able to start such a job at this time. I am going to look around and check out some of the local privateer/painters and certainly I will get more info before I commit to anything.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Took my Morris in for paint. They said it would take 8 days. Four months later and it still isn't done. Next week for sure...
the older i get,the faster i went...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

zephyrgary wrote:Took my Morris in for paint. They said it would take 8 days. Four months later and it still isn't done. Next week for sure...
I hope that you are getting a deep discount for that sort of performance??
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

That's pretty bad.