1965 Mark 1 Estate Returns after 32 Years.

For posting photos and information about your cars
Lance54

1965 Mark 1 Estate Returns after 32 Years.

Post by Lance54 »

Here I will continue to present the reactivation of the 1965 Mark 1 Estate that I gave away in 1985 and recovered in 2017 with less than 1,000 miles added to the clock.

Hopefully there will eventually be one more Mark 1 Lotus Cortina Estate on the highway.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Excellent news.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
Lance54

Post by Lance54 »

A brief history if my Mark 1 Estate is reported in the Member Introductions section of this forum.

This is a Mark 1 Estate to Lotus Cortina spec conversion that began in the late 1970's and then went dormant for more than 30 years. I'd parted out 2 very rusty Lotus Cortinas saving one set of components for the Estate and giving most of the rest away. Genuine Lotus Cortina Wheels, Struts, Front Brakes, Sway Bar, Lower Links, Steering Box, Front Seats, Steering Wheel and Instrument Cluster were all destined for the Estate. The Estate was a very rust free Standard Grade car with just over 70,000 miles. By 1985 a career relocation caused me to give the car and all the parts away to a friend however in November of 2017 I got it all back with less than 1,000 additional miles added to the odometer. The only thing that did not come back was the Instrument Cluster.

Brakes at all corners were inoperative so a full system overhaul was needed.

Front 16P Calipers were cleaned and assembled with new pistons and seals.

Next came the rear brakes.
Lance54

Post by Lance54 »

The Estate has the 8 inch single piston rear drums with bell crank for the parking brake. It's all in rather nasty condition and waiting to be upgraded to Lotus Cortina spec.

Unfortunately I did not save any Lotus Cortina rear brakes however the car came back to me with some additional parts including a pair of NOS 9 inch rear brake drums.

Pete Snyders who I me via this forum was able to supply all the rest of a 9 inch twin piston rear brake setup including the under dash parking brake I will need to utilize the Lotus Cortina center counsel and shift remote.

With some clean-up, paint, new seals, gaiters and hardware my 9 inch rear brakes are ready for installation.

NOS 9 inch drums.

Gotta love this clever Parking Brake Mechanism on the 9 inch brake.

Upper is brake On and lower is brake OFF. Sliding shoes are applied via pull bar and roller cam.

Pretty slick compared to the many other Parking Brake Mechanisms on various Cortinas.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Interesting rear brakes, I didn't know that the Locort used such brakes. The brakes on my GT Mk1 axle were 9 inch but much like your original setup?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Brett,

Your picture is a rear brake set-up for the MK1 GT and Lotus C 10/65> which was also used on the MK2 GT and Lotus.

Early MK1 and Lotus 2/63/65/10 has a twin piston wheel cylinder, external brake adjuster, and elaborate handbrake mechanism. Overall a better system.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

peteleo wrote:Brett,

Your picture is a rear brake set-up for the MK1 GT and Lotus C 10/65> which was also used on the MK2 GT and Lotus.

Early MK1 and Lotus 2/63/65/10 has a twin piston wheel cylinder, external brake adjuster, and elaborate handbrake mechanism. Overall a better system.
I wonder why the change for the same sized brakes?? That axle of mine is out of a 66 GT. I remember using these sized brakes on the back of my 105e combined with 66 GT front discs, the 9 inch were too big for the 105e and the rear locked badly in a panic situation.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

I wonder why the change for the same sized brakes??

Cheaper to produce and supposedly less maintenance. Even though the dreadful automatic brake lever adjusters were useless. You still had to manually adjust the brakes by removing the drum and turn the adjuster wheel with pliers.

Better to use the 8" brake set up from the 1200 or 1500/1600 deluxe with either P14 or P16/M16 calipers and 5/8" M/C for a 105E. 9" is an overkill
and, like you mentioned, will lock the rear brakes without an adjustable brake valve differential. Also, an issue with the 105E handbrake cable.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

peteleo wrote:I wonder why the change for the same sized brakes??

Cheaper to produce and supposedly less maintenance. Even though the dreadful automatic brake lever adjusters were useless. You still had to manually adjust the brakes by removing the drum and turn the adjuster wheel with pliers.

Better to use the 8" brake set up from the 1200 or 1500/1600 deluxe with either P14 or P16/M16 calipers and 5/8" M/C for a 105E. 9" is an overkill
and, like you mentioned, will lock the rear brakes without an adjustable brake valve differential. Also, an issue with the 105E handbrake cable.
I found that converting the rears to hydraulic worked well, did away with a lot of twiddling, 'sides who needs brakes on a Cortina?
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

MGB rear brakes look very similar to the early twin piston GT setup except they are 10" and the parking brake isn't as elegant. I wonder if they would fit inside the 13" wheels of a Cortina. I will have to look thru my parts pile and give it a mock up.
Lance54

Post by Lance54 »

First Drive has been a success.

LC brakes front and rear
LC anti-sway bar and front control arms
LC steering column and box
Under dash park brake
New front suspension bushes
New idler arm
New tie rod ends
New water pump
New fuel pump
New brake master cylinder
185/70 radials

It's been nearly 40 years since my last drive in a Cortina. Hopefully it soon be a daily experience.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Nice, car looks good. How wide are those rims?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Lance54

Post by Lance54 »

Wheels are stock LC 5.5 inch.

It also has LC front struts with Koni inserts. Rear will be lowered to LC spec with spring blocks.

Next steps will be the interior. It has LC front seats but needs full carpet. Door cards will be painted black along with all interior steel surfaces. Folding rear seat cushions are in good shape and will be painted black. Headliner needs minor repair.

A full set of LC gauges is now at Nissonger in NY for restoration. A new crash pad, LC instrument bezel and original LC steering wheel will complete the LC look inside.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Clark,

Nice job. It helps to have all the right pieces available to convert to LC specs.
Another member on this forum has a similar MK1 wagon with a TC and GT
suspension. Just can't find the thread. Hopefully, he'll come on here or someone may know.
Are you going to include hubcaps or leave it that way ?

Pete
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Was this the fellow you were thinking of? You might try checking all his posts if that's possible?
http://www.enfostuff.com/forum/viewtopi ... d1e9594d9d
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock