Some of Mark's cars from the frozen north!

For posting photos and information about your cars
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

zephyrgary wrote:Just double checked. You need either V6 Pinto or V8 Mustang II. I have a Morris Minor convertible with Fiat twin cam lump in it. It has a 70s Toyota Celica rear axle which has given no trouble and did not need altering to fit, other than mounts. I would look out for something like that or even Jap mini trucks of 79s and 80s.
The Celica sounds pretty good - I just talked to a guy who says he has a (North American) Capri rear end which should fit the bill.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Sideways wrote:
zephyrgary wrote:Just double checked. You need either V6 Pinto or V8 Mustang II. I have a Morris Minor convertible with Fiat twin cam lump in it. It has a 70s Toyota Celica rear axle which has given no trouble and did not need altering to fit, other than mounts. I would look out for something like that or even Jap mini trucks of 79s and 80s.
The Celica sounds pretty good - I just talked to a guy who says he has a (North American) Capri rear end which should fit the bill.
Anyone have the dimensions for the Capri rear end?
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I found this list;
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki ... ments#Ford

and if you scroll down we come across this entry,

54" to 55"
'39 to '48 Chevrolet
'41 to '48 Ford
'55 to '57 Chevrolet
'68 to '69 Fairlane
'67 to '70 Mustang/Cougar 8 cyl.
'62 to '70 B-body Mopar w/ 8 ¾" or 9 ¾" axle
'79 to'85 Toyota pickup
'68 to '72 Chevelle
'74 to '79 Mustang II/Pinto/Capri/Bobcat
the older i get,the faster i went...
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Which prolly means too wide cos we had to sgorten the Pinto to fit the Cortina as discussed earlier. But if it has the offset diff, you just have to find another one.
the older i get,the faster i went...
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

So far the rear end is hanging in there, probably because the rears spin in every gear - getting closer to being done, car runs very well, front end still a little 'spongy' so I'll have to look at that.

I am on the hunt for 15" wheels with the proper pitch/offset so I can squeeze in slightly larger brakes up front (if possible).
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Saw your cortina at van deusen on the weekend! :D
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Langlia wrote:Saw your cortina at van deusen on the weekend! :D
That was a good show this year (no, not because I had a car there!), decent mix as usual, good weather, talked my head off all day about the car there were so many questions.

Cleaned up the area where I removed the 'bubble', should get the trans tunnel covered properly in the near future.

Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Had the car all ready for a track day at Mission last Friday, everything checked, fluids, tire pressures etc, literally wheeled the car out of the shop to begin the trek to Mission from Burnaby and the car made a funny noise - sounded like the engine was falling out!

It wasn't but when I put the car on the lift I found that the play in the propshaft was a little excessive, removed the diff and found lots of bits floating around!

The car has never been 'launched' but I suspect previous owners/the age of the diff (50 years old) probably had something to do with it.

Diff is now at IWE rear ends only in Burnaby and Ian and Co are looking after it.

[/img]
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

This usually happens when the pinion bearing goes out. What were you running 3.9 or 4.11 ? I have a complete 4.11 we just took out of a low mileage 105E.
Pete
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

peteleo wrote:This usually happens when the pinion bearing goes out. What were you running 3.9 or 4.11 ? I have a complete 4.11 we just took out of a low mileage 105E.
Pete
Dunno what it was, I'll ask Ian.
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

What kind of seats do you have in there?
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Langlia wrote:What kind of seats do you have in there?
I used the S2000 seats, they actually look fine, even have a similar 'pinhole' pattern though the headrests are a bit of a giveaway.

Far superior to stock seats!!!
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Looks like one of your spider gears let go, I had mine explode on me once in a 2 liter Pinto powered Cortina. Those diffs don't like big torque being pounded on in a tight corner.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Brett Wilkie wrote:Looks like one of your spider gears let go, I had mine explode on me once in a 2 liter Pinto powered Cortina. Those diffs don't like big torque being pounded on in a tight corner.
I really believe that the damage was done quite a time prior, some of the breaks in the teeth look new, others look very old!
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Sideways wrote:Had the car all ready for a track day at Mission last Friday, everything checked, fluids, tire pressures etc, literally wheeled the car out of the shop to begin the trek to Mission from Burnaby and the car made a funny noise - sounded like the engine was falling out!

It wasn't but when I put the car on the lift I found that the play in the propshaft was a little excessive, removed the diff and found lots of bits floating around!

The car has never been 'launched' but I suspect previous owners/the age of the diff (50 years old) probably had something to do with it.

Diff is now at IWE rear ends only in Burnaby and Ian and Co are looking after it.

[/img]
Update, back from IWE where the thing was basically rebuilt, turns out it is a 4.13 so I'll run it until it breaks again or until it doesn't break!

I don't hammer off the line, the suspension isn't yet sorted so I don't lean into the corners yet either so the strain on the diff should be minimal.